Fire in 80?

Elkmtb

Anybody know if there were any big forest fires in unit 80 last year. I was thinking about trying a new unit this year since they made 79 a draw unit during rifle season. Anyone had any luck there? I thought this was where they had the elk ranch (near Del Norte) with CWD but it is not designated as a CWD unit. Did they have a kill-off last year or was CWD only on the ranch?

The Million Fire burned a good chunk of FS land in unit 80 last August. Basically all of the FS land in the NW corner of the unit was burned. There's a map of the burned area on page 14 of this report. Million Fire

CWD was found on an elk ranch in either unit 80 or 79, I'm not sure which, in Sept. of '01. The DOW culled <100 deer and elk from the immediate area of the ranch that fall, and some more the next spring. No wild animal has been found with CWD in those units, that's why they're not designated as CWD units.

Other than that, I don't know a thing about the hunting down there. Really there's no good hunting in CO. I'd try somewhere else if I were you.
wink.gif

Oak

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-09-2003 12:13: Message edited by: Colorado Oak ]</font>

Thanks Oak!

Looks like the fire did not get the area I was looking at, but I'll check into it more carefully.

That's one of the fires that I was on...
Send me a map of the area, and I will let you in on a green area that we kicked a lot of elk out of...Because there was 20 people moving thru the area at the time, we didn't see any game, but all the signs were there..
It is a pretty good little hike into the spot though..
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I got it. Can't belive you can remember those exact long/lat coordinates like that.
biggrin.gif
Those GPS coords where you saw each of those 350+ bulls was really helpful.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You left out where they take a dump though.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I'd be happy to sell those locations for $500 each each if anyone is interested.
wink.gif

Thanks for the help. I let you know what I find. I'm going to try to find some recent arial photography, but I won't hold my breath.

LOL!!!
It took a lot of map searching to figure out where we were at then it took a lot of soul searching to let out the coordinates of the area, but I figured since it was a fellow Hunttalker and I wasn't planning on heading into that area non to soon, what the heck...
I sure hope the arials work out well for you and don't forget to take a good set of shoes, it is a little steep in some of those areas....LOL...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back