Yeti GOBOX Collection

Finn from the Cascades, Season 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Figured this was as good a photo as any to kick this off. We are training hard in preparation for the fall test, the HZP. Tracking work, polishing force fetch, obedience, and some intro to blood tracking.

Great looking dog, I love seeing posts on here about your dogs and the photos of the places they work, keep sharing please.
I had a Drahthaar many many years ago, but I know I don't have the ability or persistence that you put into your dogs, so I'll just enjoy them and those steeeeep canyons you hunt vicariously.

Where will the fall test be located? Are you going to be down this direction again?

Good stuff for sure! Not sure what the last varmint is he is retrieving for you but if you need some farm cats....

LOL it’s a raccoon. The German testing involves a fair bit of furred game tracking and retrieval. It really shows if a dog is working for the handler in both his ground work and his force fetch.

Awesome! Is this a club or a trainer?

I started my dog with the intentions of running him in tests but due to his ACL tears while I was in OH and now in PA there's not really a club around we never got to it. I'm sure he could easily pass his junior test, he's good for 200yd+ retrieves and this year he was doing amazing on cold blinds out to 100yds. His biggest issue would be not breaking, however with the juniors I believe you're allowed to leash them.

When I get to Seattle I'm going to have to look up some retriever clubs.

It’s with the North America’s Deutsch Drahthaar club.

Looks like Finn is getting it all figured out. How did he do with his ability to track the furred game?

Looks like Finn is getting it all figured out. How did he do with his ability to track the furred game?

We've been hitting the drags really hard, and running them on a long lead so I can slow him down and guide him to being a more focused and deliberate tracker. He has REALLY improved on this. I laid a super hard drag for him the other day and he did a nice job of sorting it out, going back to where he lost the trail. This also really lays the foundation for blood tracking.

Looks like you've got a damn fine dog

I got a great one with Finn. I am going to run him in the fall utility test (VGP test) next year. The thing that really impresses me about this testing system is it's not about ribbons and trophies, there are none. It's about unlocking the genetic potential of the dogs. The judges gave me real time advice that helped Finn achieve this score (first time handling a dog through this testing). A seasoned handler likely would have squeezed a few more points out yesterday.

I got a great one with Finn. I am going to run him in the fall utility test (VGP test) next year. The thing that really impresses me about this testing system is it's not about ribbons and trophies, there are none. It's about unlocking the genetic potential of the dogs. The judges gave me real time advice that helped Finn achieve this score (first time handling a dog through this testing). A seasoned handler likely would have squeezed a few more points out yesterday.

...you've a knack for interesting and informational. Great looking dog...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back