Finn from the Cascades, Season 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I’ll put up some more pictures later, but Finn had a great day today. High dog had a 185.

View attachment 116141

was zum Teufel?

I don't understand all those furrin words. But the number makes sense(y). Was there a tariff on the score sheet? Was he mad that he "missed it by that much"?
I've only done a Natural Ability test once. That testing stuff is very interesting. Judges were very good guys. Some of the dog owners,...................
Senor Redlegs is now more nervous than before:)

was zum Teufel?

LOL no idea. I hate filling out the paperwork for this shit. I need an interpreter.

I don't understand all those furrin words. But the number makes sense(y).

The funny thing is, even the numbers don't totally make sense. Some categories a 10 is high score, others 11 but a truly exceptional can get a 12 🤔.

Was there a tariff on the score sheet?

Not yet, but give it time.

Was he mad that he "missed it by that much"?

Think Honey Badger.

I've only done a Natural Ability test once. That testing stuff is very interesting. Judges were very good guys. Some of the dog owners,...................

The judges were an incredible group of guys. Some of the nicest people I've met. The dog owners at this test were a really good group. Most I already knew. I know what you mean though. I think that type is more prevalent in the NAVDHA circle, but the JGHV world isn't immune either.

Senor Redlegs is now more nervous than before:)

We need to do some steadiness training, but Senor Redlegs should be nervous. The Flying Livers, aka Mallards should be REALLY nervous, as Finn is an absolute monster in the water. On the live duck search, Finn found his duck and had it back in a minute and a half. The judges asked me to resend him so they could see him work more. After 10 more minutes they asked me to send him up one side of the marsh. They had me call him back after a couple of minutes. He would have easily gone 20 plus minutes.

Thanks, but I wasn't interested in the duck stuff:LOL:.
Well, not near as interested as your bud was, cool when the dog impresses the big boys.........
My older girl, half lab, carries a 12 year resentment towards me over my disinterest in quack quacks......................

Super jealous of those roosters! Things are practically an endangered species down here
It’s a shell of what it once was here too. It boggles my mind the riparian habitat down there with so few pheasants.

It’s a shell of what it once was here too. It boggles my mind the riparian habitat down there with so few pheasants.
My grandma used to talk about clouds of ringnecks in the Yakima valley in the 1950s. Shooting 20 a day and still had enough light to drive 3 hrs back before dark. I've thought about why the numbers are so much lowers and all I can come up with is clearer farming and possibly them coming back down after a big boom post original introduction.

It was a good couple of days in God’s Country. Lots of birds and sunshine, albeit a little warm during the day. Not so much at nigh. I need a warmer sleeping bag.

03EC5AEE-597D-4559-84EA-B040070F2153.jpeg

E6B37C4A-9B63-40AC-96A7-AD813C3C45CB.jpeg

A78F9B19-4272-4FED-A840-2ED8139E758F.jpeg

One bird shy of a limit today. I thought my shotgun was malfunctioning because I couldn’t get my second barrel to fire. It ended up being the nut behind the trigger, I was re engaging the safety after the first barrel. Duh.....

5AC73ECD-C35A-4521-9312-84EB43BB850B.jpeg

Took a while to get the frozen coffee pot to percolate

4DC8AA17-9069-4B5C-8043-E2F40F97EB18.jpeg

Pre game pep talk

F6AE0266-93E6-4264-972E-FA9ACBDA9385.jpeg

Pointing a single on our way down to collect the last bird of the day. Finn did a nice job of picking up singles after the main covey flush today.

7ECD582A-A4CF-4596-A022-477671C58DAA.jpeg

Bird #6.

05314226-D042-483D-8654-4C6668EDED3A.jpeg

One tired dog.

8D1CBBEA-23F3-4BFA-8099-DF28CFE4ACC1.jpeg

Good thing I drank the beer or the cooler would have been too small.

433E5ED5-4118-4501-84A0-B69387B41348.jpeg

A little light on photos from today. I’ve done an insane amount of traveling this last week, capped off by a 14 hour overnight round trip to visit my 95 year old grandmother. I almost didn’t go today, but I made the decision to get a hunt in.

Total shit show, I forgot my boots and didn’t realize it till I was 45 minutes from home. Then, I drove past a number of spots that had no vehicles or hunters. The ridge I hunted can be accessed from two points and I didn’t check the other parking area. Got halfway up to see other hunters above me. I was already committed, so I tried to dodge around them the beat I could. It was a pain and I regretted not turning around and going elsewhere. Unfortunately, given a late start and my boneheadedness that was never really a viable option.

Found some birds. Didn’t shoot great. Got to watch some great dog work. Finn had a great point on the last covey. Lots of birds, and he really held them well while I worked down a nasty hillside.

View from the top.

7CB5549A-260A-4513-AFA1-DEC5F8634438.jpeg

The last bird I shot was kind enough to sail down to the road. A short track and chase followed.

DE9ECE60-CE8F-4847-9EF2-FD93CD1192E7.jpeg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back