Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Finally got my piece of the Alaskan dream!

Dave N

Just got home today from ANOTHER trip to Alaska. This one, however, was different. We went up to check out the property that we bought! Going to take a bit of work cleaning up, but we now have a place to go to and stay whenever we go up. Just outside of Willow off of Parks Highway. The Sockeye fire missed this place but pretty much got all of the neighbors. We have 1.46 acres mostly cleared of trees. There used to be a house there but the family decided it needed too much work to be worth it so they just had it torn down and covered the ground that was torn up with gravel. So, there is STILL the well, septic and electric all remaining on the property. We have a small dry cabin that is wired for electric being moved onto the place. Stove, fridge, heater, etc. are included inside. We passed on the bed that was inside as well as the dresser and chest of drawers that just took up too much room for a vacation place. Oh yeah. We picked the spot to locate the cabin so when we sat out on the little deck we would be looking at our view of Denali! Going back up after a bit to start cleaning up the place. The previous owner kind of had a personal dump going and even though it's SUPPOSED to be cleaned up, I'm pretty sure we're going to inherit the mess. Haul off the non-burnables to the dump and see what kind of fun things we can find. Lots of scrap lumber laying around, some good and some not. Planning to get a burn permit and keep a small "campfire" going to start burning up the old lumber as well as the dead trees laying around. Shouldn't take a lot to be able to walk around without stepping over stuff. Need to pick out the bigger rocks and fill in some holes then smooth out the rest as level as I can. Want to cut back a few willows to open up the view a little more. And as usual in Alaska, there are plenty of piles of moose nuggets laying around. Waiting for our first visitor to walk through! The plan is to use it as a vacation place, clean it up, MAYBE put up a small house or bring in a trailer, and use it as a possible flip to go towards something more permanent later. It's a bit too close to the highway for the wife, but maybe with a few more trees growing as a border it will grow on her! It's taken a while, but now we have something more than just a dream.

Thanks guys. Wife and I fell in love with Alaska on our first trip and we've been going back and looking for a retirement home for a while. Our foot is in the door now. First order of business is to see if we can get the well working to have a water source. Find where they buried the electricity and get the cabin powered up. Already have a generator just in case. Then start on the junk and haul it out. Rocks and dead trees will be a work in progress when time allows. Need a little play time with friends while we're there. Making a list of what we still need to get when we return later this year. Good thing I'm renting a truck this time!

Reactions: LCH
Congratulations Dave. I know this has been a dream of yours for some time. Hoping the challenges that come with the property will be minimal and your new site will be up and running with power and fresh water soon.

Congrats Dave. An adventure for sure! Ditto on the bug dope
It's on the list! Thought about you when we were there. Saw a truck just your style and looked like the same color on the west side of Wasilla. Tires were a little smaller I believe.

Congrats on your new vacation homes. This’ll make a great thread with before during and after pictures. Enjoy it.

I never took any pictures this time mainly because of the junk. Maybe I should have done it just to show the improvement! We'll see how much is there when we get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back