Finally got my piece of the Alaskan dream!

Sorry to hear that. I enjoyed watching you make your dream come true. I’d be willing to bet you’ll find a way to get something else up there sooner rather than later. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear of the disruption of your dream. This is a story about alternating tragic and wonderful things happening to a farmer. His neighbors despair and rejoice depending on what comes along; while the farmer's attitude about being ruined or saved by events is, "Maybe so, maybe not."

I linked it because of the nature of unwanted change: Often it is hard to see the opportunities that arise from a disruptive or even catastrophic change. Dealing with hard emotions from loss or change makes it hard to recognize the opportunities, even to realize they exist. Believe me, they do and they will continue to come your way.

Sorry to hear of the disruption of your dream. This is a story about alternating tragic and wonderful things happening to a farmer. His neighbors despair and rejoice depending on what comes along; while the farmer's attitude about being ruined or saved by events is, "Maybe so, maybe not."

I linked it because of the nature of unwanted change: Often it is hard to see the opportunities that arise from a disruptive or even catastrophic change. Dealing with hard emotions from loss or change makes it hard to recognize the opportunities, even to realize they exist. Believe me, they do and they will continue to come your way.
Elkduds, you keep surprising me. I have repeated this story many times over the years and mindfulness is so helpful in daily living. I do my best to be in the same place my feet are.
Dave N sorry you are going through this, take care of today. It is our present...

Hey man I'll be praying for you as you ride this one out. Hopefully you can look back at this time someday when you're closer to fulfilling some of your dreams again and it looks more like a new beginning than the mess it seems right now.

Sorry to hear about your dream house and total situation. Praying for you and your new dream.

OK, time to make a final update to the story. First, things are OK here at home in Illinois. But with a somewhat heavy heart I have to say that our Alaska property has been sold. Waiting for the final papers and things to get squared away, and we have signed papers allowing the buyer to move in immediately. So we are actually landlords until it's closed on. EXTRA RENT MONEY! 😎

Going to miss the place. Pretty cozy and right in the area we liked. Let our buddy know that he could put his spare key inside the cabin and lock the door behind him. To kind of top it all off, to add to my disappointment of not getting up there this year, he told me the salmon were going by his place by the MILLIONS this year! 😲 It's only about 7 or 8 miles away. Another decent stream from what I've been told was literally walking distance away.

SO, this chapter comes to a close. Not sure what the future will hold. I'm not getting any younger! Made a few friends up there and keep in touch with several. Maybe someday there will be another place with my name on the door! Alaska is a big, beautiful place. I left a big piece of my heart there.

Hey man you got a piece so not so bad. And now you know the turf n what you would different the next time. I suspect you're a lot closer to that Alaska dream cabin than others.
Live on your wins man

Uh, yeah... Got papers today to sign saying the buyer wanted out of the deal. I don't know whether to be glad, sad or pissed off. Maybe all 3? They wanted immediate occupancy and were paying $20/day rent until closing. Turns out, the guy showed up to see it for the first time and said nope! Getting the power switched back over to us and wanted out. Damn it all, anyway. Realtor said he was done and sending the keys to us. We do get half of the earnest money that was deposited plus whatever "rent" accumulated. Big whoop...

So here we are, back to being Alaska property owners! Kind of ticked off, actually. We had some plans for the money that now have to wait. Wife needs dental work BAD and it would have been nice to pay cash. Guess I'll keep working! Now I hope there will be something to rent next year so I can visit.

Hope I'm not jinxing myself but the place has a new buyer. Wife wanted to get it on the market again despite my efforts to wait until AFTER the snow season. Paid a neighbor to keep the driveway open and of course there has been PLENTY of snow this year! 2 feet at a time! But the agent found a guy, and after a little back and forth agreed to sell to him. Came out farther ahead than I had guessed but no jackpot either. Oh well, it will pay off our mortgage here at home and get me that much closer to being able to THINK about retiring.

Hope I'm not jinxing myself but the place has a new buyer. Wife wanted to get it on the market again despite my efforts to wait until AFTER the snow season. Paid a neighbor to keep the driveway open and of course there has been PLENTY of snow this year! 2 feet at a time! But the agent found a guy, and after a little back and forth agreed to sell to him. Came out farther ahead than I had guessed but no jackpot either. Oh well, it will pay off our mortgage here at home and get me that much closer to being able to THINK about retiring.
Dave,
Just went through your whole story, was so happy for you, then sad, now happy, I think😒
Hope you get off that roller coaster. Good luck

Back