Yeti GOBOX Collection

Finally! Got my first elk and could't ask for more

TheWanderer

Was finally able to get my first elk! and a nice bull at that. This was my 5th time out west in the last 5 years and after a number of close calls I finally got it done. We weren't on public land for this trip but did a ranch hunt in NW Colorado. We had my buddies dad and a couple friends of mine from as far back as elementary school who'd never hunted elk, but always wanted to get out west. So we made sure it was an enjoyable trip for everyone. I was able to film a lot of the trip but this guy stepped out just as camera light faded and I was in the last 5 minutes of legal shooting light. 300 yards and I made a good shot. He went all of 2 yards and piled up. Absolutely on cloud 9.

I grew up for a large part in north-central PA with the elk herd there and we'd have them in the backyard sometimes while I was getting ready for school. Would also see them from the treestand when I was deer hunting. Incredible to get up close to my first and have an insane amount of burgers and steaks and roasts. I grew up listening to all the stories of western hunts with my dad and his buddies in deer camp and looking at all the pictures on the wall. Will be a fitting cap to this part of the year as I'm taking my kids to deer camp for the first time on Sunday for Monday's rifle opener.

757 edit web.jpg

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back