Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Finally! After 21 years of applying

Firehawk54

Well, 21 years of applying to hunt a LE bull elk in Utah, I have drawn a tag. I had been applying for a unit where Point Creep has gotten out of hand. In fact, I had better odds 5 years ago to draw that tag then I did the past two years. So...I decided I really wanted to hunt and have a good opportunity at a mature 6 point bull elk. Score means very little to me. Rather, after much contemplation, I realized what I wanted was to hunt during the rut, for a mature bull, with my friends and family around me. The rest didn't matter.

So...I changed to a unit that last year, with 20 points, was a 100% successful draw. At 19 points, there was no guarantee. This week, it was confirmed with a charge on my credit card for the LE elk tag. I have drawn the Pilot Mountain LE elk unit on the Nevada/Utah border. This hunt also includes the Nevada side (unit 091)which is really unique. Hunt is 9/11-10/2. Trying to decide now if I will take that first week and then possibly another 2-3 day hunt or two if required. I live about 3 hours from the unit.

I haven't personally spent time on this range, but I am very familiar with the range just North of there and have a good idea of what the terrain will be like. A friend of mine drew this tag a few years ago and killed a 345 bull. He said it was a total blast with elk bugling throughout the day. He is excited to help show me around and see the mountain again.

Needless to say, I am way excited. I will be putting boots on the ground end of this month and will try to get there several times to get familiar with the ground. Of course, if any of you have hints, advice, GPS locations to huge bulls tied to a tree, I am all ears, but I am way excited to get out there soon.

FH

Last edited:
I have drawn the Pilot Mountain LE elk unit on the Nevada/Utah border. This hunt also includes the Nevada side (unit 091)which is really unique.
Congrats on tag! I know nothing of unit but sounds like great hunt but are you saying your utah tag is good in nevada? How does that work?

Last edited:
Congrats on tag! I no nothing of unit but sounds like great hunt but are you saying your utah tag is good in nevada? How does that work?
Thank you for the Congrats! Yes, my Utah tag works for my side of the state line (Pilot Range) and the Nevada side of that range (Unit 091). It is a joint program between the states. Nevada hunters who draw that tag can hunt on the Utah side too. It will be about 10 tags in Utah and 10 in Nevada.

Very cool. I can't imagine waiting 21 years and striking gold. Good luck sir and thanks for sharing the interesting bit about the reciprocating tags between NV and Utah very unique

Congrats on the tag! Are other units in Utah shared with Nevada or just that one?
As far as I know, this is the only one. Utah and Wyoming do something similar for fishing on Flaming Gorge too, but as far as hunts go, this is the only one I know of.

As far as I know, this is the only one. Utah and Wyoming do something similar for fishing on Flaming Gorge too, but as far as hunts go, this is the only one I know of.
That's good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

Awesome, and congrats my friend drew a mule deer tag there a few years back said it was amazingly great ( also mentioned he could have shot multiple bulls over 300) in the 4 days before he took his buck. The buck was very nice as well. I’m sure it’ll be a blast.

Congrats on the tag! Are other units in Utah shared with Nevada or just that one?
I believe there are two other units that do what they call (interstate hunts) just have to hold a license for both sides of the fence. Also follow each states individual laws while on their side like muzzleloader restrictions blaze orange requirements things like that.

Well, 21 years of applying to hunt a LE bull elk in Utah, I have drawn a tag. I had been applying for a unit where Point Creep has gotten out of hand. In fact, I had better odds 5 years ago to draw that tag then I did the past two years. So...I decided I really wanted to hunt and have a good opportunity at a mature 6 point bull elk. Score means very little to me. Rather, after much contemplation, I realized what I wanted was to hunt during the rut, for a mature bull, with my friends and family around me. The rest didn't matter.

So...I changed to a unit that last year, with 20 points, was a 100% successful draw. At 19 points, there was no guarantee. This week, it was confirmed with a charge on my credit card for the LE elk tag. I have drawn the Pilot Mountain LE elk unit on the Nevada/Utah border. This hunt also includes the Nevada side (unit 091)which is really unique. Hunt is 9/11-10/2. Trying to decide now if I will take that first week and then possibly another 2-3 day hunt or two if required. I live about 3 hours from the unit.

I haven't personally spent time on this range, but I am very familiar with the range just North of there and have a good idea of what the terrain will be like. A friend of mine drew this tag a few years ago and killed a 345 bull. He said it was a total blast with elk bugling throughout the day. He is excited to help show me around and see the mountain again.

Needless to say, I am way excited. I will be putting boots on the ground end of this month and will try to get there several times to get familiar with the ground. Of course, if any of you have hints, advice, GPS locations to huge bulls tied to a tree, I am all ears, but I am way excited to get out there soon.

FH
Spent more than a bit of time in the Pilots. Be sure to have an extra spare tire handy. The rocks and greasewood can be hard on tires.

Guy on the East side of the mountains had a couple of ponds he raised Bonneville Cutthroats in for the NV DWR. He finally had to fence them to keep the elk out of them.

Spent more than a bit of time in the Pilots. Be sure to have an extra spare tire handy. The rocks and greasewood can be hard on tires.

Guy on the East side of the mountains had a couple of ponds he raised Bonneville Cutthroats in for the NV DWR. He finally had to fence them to keep the elk out of them.
Thank you 1 Pointer! Yes the Roudy family I think. Turns out these Cutthroat are a pure strain of Cutthroat that has helped rehabilitate Pyramid Lake in Nevada. Seems some folks took fish from Pyramid Lake and had transplanted them in the Pilot range many many moons ago. Watch this video from our local outdoor show.

Thank you 1 Pointer! Yes the Roudy family I think. Turns out these Cutthroat are a pure strain of Cutthroat that has helped rehabilitate Pyramid Lake in Nevada. Seems some folks took fish from Pyramid Lake and had transplanted them in the Pilot range many many moons ago. Watch this video from our local outdoor show.

Yep, those were the fish I helped gather out of the ponds to harvest the eggs. I had the name/strain in correct. Some were so big that we'd only get a couple in a 5gal bucket.

I was at 18 years for the Walla Walla unit. I know how you feel. The greatest sensation after all that time is passing on bulls nobody in their right mind would not shoot. Looking forward to your stories.
I am at 17. Will put in for WW in a few years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back