Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Field Judging

EliAGrimmett

I posted this on our Facebook page and thought some of you might get a kick out of giving it a guess.

"Here's a cool way to practice your Field Judging Technique. Click the link below and fill in your votes for each of the measurements on this buck. There are some photos and a video of the buck to help you see all the angles. I'm curious to see what the results are. I'll leave the pics up for about a week and see how many responses we get. I'll give my thoughts and scores after we get enough votes. If it's something everyone enjoys practicing then I'll rotate the buck in the photos once every week or two."

http://www.pronghornguideservice.com/field-judging.html

Here's a sneak peak of the buck you'll see more of if you click the link and vote for your scoring guess.

1.jpg

Now, all you need to do is to allow each person's vote on each measurement get totaled up and see what it comes to. I've come up with a very high score and I think I might be shorting him a half inch in length and possibly a half inch in prong.

Shoot now, and shoot fast.

Greenhorn I think you are over estimating as much as I am being conservative.

Imma gonna say he is 84 inches and be pleased when the tape proves me wrong.

I don't see 17 inch length...

The pic above I wouldn't have guessed 17 but after looking at the other pics in the link I would definitely say he is over 17", I'm with greenhorn on this one.....
Matt

The pic above I wouldn't have guessed 17 but after looking at the other pics in the link I would definitely say he is over 17", I'm with greenhorn on this one.....
Matt

I'm with you and Greenhorn. I guessed. In post #3 I stated I thought I had underestimated length by a half inch. I came up with 90" for my final score, and it would not surprise me if that was conservative.

That buck's mass is going to disguise his length, as is the configuration of having a bit of a hook toward the top. Imagine if that horn went straight up, rather than curved. It would look like he was 19", not 17".

I have a suspicion that before the AZ season is over we will know the results based on a "ground check."

Either that buck has little ears or it is a mid 90's buck.

Either that or I suck at judging big pronghorns.

Shooter anywhere in the world IMO.

Going to guess about 96 inches (give or take an inch) just by going off the right horn, even though the left horn has better mass above the prong. That antelope has some serious mass!! How many NR points would it take to draw a tag in an unit that would produce a buck like that?

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back