Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Few critters from this morning

mtmiller

Another fun day driving from SD back to MT. At least there were critters out in full force.

This one had a sibling, but it disappeared before I could get turned around.
47b6db00b3127cce89384f985c1600000016100AcsmjFy1csWPg

This guy was along the highway and gave me a few good opportunities.
47b6db00b3127cce89384c5d1c4a00000016100AcsmjFy1csWPg

47b6db00b3127cce89384c411c5600000016100AcsmjFy1csWPg

Anyone know what kind of birds these are...and which is the male...and any oddities in their breeding?
47b6db00b3127cce89384c611c7600000016100AcsmjFy1csWPg

I caught this guy near the road and he tok off running with a ground squirrel in tow. I let Axl out and the race was on. Axl got on the scent and ran into him about 200 yards over the hill. The badger had a shallow hole, but not big enough to escape. He came out of the hole once at Axl, but the old boy is still quick enough to dodge the attack. I got in close for the pic, but luckily still have all my toes.
47b6db00b3127cce8939a4273c0800000026100AcsmjFy1csWPg

mtmiller said:
Anyone know what kind of birds these are...and which is the male...and any oddities in their breeding?

Wilson's phalaropes. The female is on the right. Females do the courting and males incubate eggs and care for the young. What a messed up system. ;) :D

Great pics as usual, Miller.

No fair biologist.:D

Here is another picture taken from my parents yard. Pretty tough picture in the evening with crappy light and the background, but interesting. The birds are turkey vultures and are using this tree across from my parents place to roost. I guess there are sometimes upto 35 vultures in the tree. Pretty strange they would use a tree in the middle of Sturgis, South Dakota.:confused:

47b6db00b3127cce893907a7fd7100000016100AcsmjFy1csWPg

Dang...those are some claws on those badger critters. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Damn Miller, you like vet bills? I would never sick my mutt on a Badger.. I have heard some stories of some pretty bad gashes left on a dog from them things.

schmalts said:
Damn Miller, you like vet bills? I would never sick my mutt on a Badger.
I guess that is the difference between "cheese-head" dogs and Montana born dogs.:D Honestly though, after the first charge Axl was pretty aggressive and kept getting in a little to close. I had to yell at him to have him stay his distance.

I was amazed at how fast this guy was. He dropped his prize a few yards from his escape. I decided to pick it up and toss it at him. Wow, he snapped his head around and caught the squirrel in flight. That was about the time I started thinking about my toes sticking out the end of my sandals.:eek: Three feet was probably plenty close for the pics.:D

schmalts said:
I have heard some stories of some pretty bad gashes left on a dog from them things.
Speaking of gashes, you must have been attacked by a badger earlier in life.;) :D

I see why Greenhorn and some of the other guys keep worrying about mutant animals up there in Montana. You got those birds up there that are pretty different.

They are not mutant though, right? They're just different. They got that way in Montana or what?

Great pictures!!

mtmiller said:
Speaking of gashes, you must have been attacked by a badger earlier in life.;) :D
Speaking of bad gashes.... that burly girl show up at work for a second round? She probably really wanted your room mate, did she have a jar of skippy? Damn badger should have taken your toes for wearing those gay shoes.
Speaking of shoes, the Lowa's arent too bad. Broke them in Turkey season and should be good to go this fall.

schmalts said:
Speaking of shoes, the Lowa's arent too bad. Broke them in Turkey season and should be good to go this fall.
Maybe you can keep from breaking your ankle this year...you old fugg.;) :D

Man, I wasted my 3,000th post responding to a gash.:D

LMAO Stan :D ...Exactly!? Nice pics Craig....but sandals? What next, you gonna have Sneeks send you a necklace? :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back