Yeti GOBOX Collection

Fetching elk

I have had guns pointed at me while on horseback. Makes you nervous however in the 80s some gents from Chicago killed three leapard appaloosas tied in a clearcut. You can't fix stupid!

Back to the question - I avoid nervous, excitable horses. I like them steady and predictable.

I’ve had guns pointed at me in a pickup.

I agree on a calm and predictable horse.

I was held at gun point for ten hours in a marijuana patch in California until I convinced them that I was there to look at the gold deposit not their cash crop. Given the choice I would rather not experience that again. I'm sure you feel the same.

I must like a black horse well enough, of the four horses I've owned, three have been black. I will say the buckskin gets more attention and compliments than the other horses ever have.

I think that generally speaking if you want a really nice horse and you don't raise and train them yourself,,,, you need to realize a well trained horse that is, calm minded, nicely gaited, in a prime age, a valuable animal. It took someone many hours of time to get the horse to that point. You can't expect to find a great horse for bargain basement price.

If you are good around horses and can recognize a good animal, you can buy a project for less money and develop it over time. Then you are the one supplying the sweat equity.

One reality is if you own horses, you are a horse trainer. They are not static. They get better over time or worse. Most of it depends on the person handling them.

Last edited:
Anyone of you with horses want to adopt a 31yo man child who's a pretty OK hunter?

Asking for a friend...

TBH, I've always been interested in horseback riding and back country trips. I worked on a small ranch as a teenager and for some reason never got to actually ride a horse... One day though, I will!

Anyone of you with horses want to adopt a 31yo man child who's a pretty OK hunter?

Asking for a friend...

TBH, I've always been interested in horseback riding and back country trips. I worked on a small ranch as a teenager and for some reason never got to actually ride a horse... One day though, I will!

No stables near you that rent horses?

No stables near you that rent horses?

I live in the Canadian prairies, there are horses and cowboys behind every bush... haha

I just don't feel comfortable going out to strangers a be like "hey, can you show me how to ride a horse?". I'm pretty upfront normally and not too shy to go to strangers to ask for hunting permission for instance. It's probably because I feel like the only guy in Saskatchewan who doesn't know how to ride a horse. One day I will get over this mental hurdle. In the mean time I walk A LOT!!! lol

Some stables give riding lessons. No need to explain anything to them. Just tell them you want to learn to ride. They'll be happy to take your money. :)

Once you do it you'll be glad you didn't wait any longer.

Good horses and guns aren't cheap. Fully trained and dependable is certainly out of my income. However with careful and diligent shopping it is possible to get an affordable young horse or an older horse that will serve for a shorter time but might be a learning experience for both you and the horse. I have purchased a number in the 15 - 18 year range for a reasonable price (not this year). How about how long will they last? I lost a really good mare at 24. In the last four years , I had to put down 2 geldings and a mare because of no teeth. The geldings were 26 and 28 and the mare was 31. Hence it is reasonable to believe you aught to get at least 10 years out of a 15 year old horse. If the horse is good and you are green, then a ten year education is better than graduate school. They make a very good and dependable friend.

The mare I just bought at 6 will likely be a good dependable horse in about 3 years. The more you work with them the more trust is likely to be developed in the partnership.
What requirements do you need ? About the same as raising children. Patience, consistency, follow through, temper control, and dependability make for a good training platform. Bad tempers and inconsistency make for erratic ponies.

Horses right now are at a all-time high due to a booming economy, in 2009 people were dumping trained horses in the desert near Ely and selling at very low rates all across. I think in the next down turn would be a good buying opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back