Fetching elk

diamond hitch

There are many ways to recover elk after shooting. As long as the elk is recovered there isn't a wrong way. What has worked for me over the years and by myself is probably the old way.

I cut about a four inch pole and tie it at head height between two lodgepole pines about 3-4 ft apart. Normally I use parachute chord but have used baling twine as I have a lot of it and it is strong. I fasten a block and tackle to the middle and then to the elk. I cut the lower legs off at the lower joint. Sometimes I bring in a single tree, sometimes I make a gimble out of a pole, and sometimes I pull the elk up by on leg and tie it to the pole. The I reset and pull the second leg and tie it to the pole so the legs are about 20-22 inches apart. Then I split the elk down the back to the ground and saw the elk in half the a little past the third rib. At that point I cut the front quarters off and set the hind quarters on the ground. I reset and attach the front half onto the pole and finish cutting the front in half to include about 3/4 of the neck. I cut the head off and lower the front quarters to prepare to load.

I run a 1/2 inch hemp rope through a hole down about 2 ribs. I set that quarter on the saddle, leg back hair to the horse. I bring over the second quarter, tie the rope from the first quarter through the second quarter and tie it off about 8-10 inches apart and push the first quarter off the saddle and center the package in the seat. I run the rope end around the horn with a half hitch and then down through a stirrup and back up. The rope rope then goes through the second stirrup and bring the two up high enough to support the quarters. Tie them off with a double half hitch on the horn. The trip through the stirrups acts the same as a lash cinch and controls the flopping if you have to start jumping logs.

The hind quarters are a little tougher. I place the first quarter in the saddle and tie the end of the rope around the rib section. I get the second quarter and place it on top of the first. The rope goes around the horn and snugs the first quarter to the pommel. Then I run the rope around the second quarter on the rib section and snug it to the pommel on the other side. The rope goes around the horn and back to the leg end. Leave enough slack so the cantle supports the top of the quarters. Return the rope to the horn and bring the stirrups up like the front quarters. The whole task typically takes me about an hour and a half and I'm old.

elk.jpg

Thanks Pagosa! I grew up on the rez and remember drinking beer at Mooses. Kalispel was a nice town in the 70s last time I was there the fla

It’s full of Kalis now. We lived on East Post Creek Road right north of Hunts Timber for a little while, the Mission is really neat. Moose’s still has great pizza and normal beer. I hunt down in SW Montana for the rifle season and your welcome for beer/coffee anytime I have my camp setup. We will be using my daughters quarter/Appaloosa cross and older burro this season. Thanks for your posts, its enjoyable reading them. Preston

When the wolves wiped out the deer and elk in districts 124 and 200 I moved east. I hunt 215, 350, 370, 322. Occasionally I hunt southern 380 but I would likely have to bring my own deer. I've been waiting since 93 for a recovery but it doesn't appear to happen before I die. The wolves in 322 have taken the fun out of that one too. Both contained good horse hunts but now I just check every 5 years in hope that something migrated in. I hunted the blacktail once for the experience, put it on my list to avoid and haven't been back in 30 years. I visited Fleecer once but could never find a reliable flack vest nor one for the horse. Even the biologist advised me not to visit it with a horse. Finding acceptable horse country takes a bit. I know every gold deposit in the state but only in the snummer months.

Thanks for the invite, good luck to you.

I don’t hunt in NW MT except for hound chasing, turkeys, and bear. It’s not worth the hassle. Me and my boy hunt the Big Hole, Rocky Mt front, and once in a while the Crazies. My closest spot is 3.5 hours away in 332/331/319, but wasn’t the same last year, crazy amount of hunters even 2 or 4 miles deep. We mostly foot hunt

Don't feel bad, I spent 28 days on horseback and on foot and heard two shots. I'm getting the same answer out of everyone. I'm guessing the two snow years and late springs have relocated the elk. It might take a while for things to re-adjust. As we saw in the 80s when the cats and wolves showed up the elk moved. The falling pines have also changed patterns. Many of yhe elk have moved into the regen from the 80s logging and the northside fir thickets. I think it is too early to see the new patterns emerge to these changes.

As we cut out elk trails the elk start using them within a week.

Elkstalker - you are right that is an excellent mule. I'm going through the replacement years. I've had to shoot a number of my horses cause they ran out of teeth. I'm replacing them slowly but it takes a while.

In many ways it is unfortunate that a horses lifespan is not a more even match with ours. The horse in my avatar has been gone for a couple of years, and retired for a few years before that. He was a strapping TWH gelding that could walk like no body's business. He took me many miles both running dogs and in the mountains. He was absolutely bomb proof, with a big motor.

E8CEEC30-F6AC-44C7-80D4-BA13760B3056.jpeg
This is him taking a break on a ridge line bordering YNP. On a another ride in YNP he took me on a 20 mile trip in three hours and 20 minutes. He was knocking them off. I mostly rode but from time to time I paused to glass for elk, moose or grizzly bear. I lost count of how much bear sign we saw. Nothing for the first three miles from the trailhead,, then mostly everywhere.

If you consider time spent with horses as work,,,you won't spend enough time. Of course, it isn't easy to ride regularly in the winter. But for much of the year I'll ride one of my horses most days. The more they are used, the better they become. It is very satisfying to continue to make a horse a little better as time goes by. There is always something to work on.

Presently I have three horses, one of which is in his twenties. He is a good guy but his retirement is going to come one of these days. In fact I thought he'd cash out last spring. He got a severe infection somehow, but damn if he didn't bounce back.

With his situation I purchased a six year old TWH gelding last June. He did a very good job for me last summer and fall. I did not kill an elk last fall, so I don't know for certain how he'll do with packing meat.

D6A87F97-CA16-49DA-BE8D-8633EFFDAF30_1_105_c.jpeg

This is him, with me in the saddle at a field trial last fall.

A friend of a friend in Plains lost 3 hounds yesterday and one in critical conditions 50/50 chance, due to wolves killing them. It was in district 200. Wolves do have a big impact on big game herds and distribution of big game.

I sent you a PM with their names I didn’t want it posted and I don’t personally know them.

For color I prefer bays, grays and blacks. Sorrels and chestnuts are acceptable if dark enough. I like morgans, saddlebred, tennesee walkers, paso fino crosses as the gaited pace is smoother and allows you to cover miles without pain. Sometimes you just have to ride them and teach them to walk fast. You want them alert but not paranoid. This is another reason that a 8-10 year old horse is preferred. Most of the stupid should be past.

If they are not spooky and are comfortable with you they should pack. Sometimes if they get a little snorty at the smell of blood, take a handful and smear it on their nose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back