PEAX Equipment

Feeding the Rat (AKA GrantK's elk hunting obsession)

I had barely gotten started down when I cut very fresh human tracks, who in their right minds had come up this drainage? then I remembered I had seen the CPW lion researcher parked near the bottom in the morning, I had assumed she was up on the other side but apparently she had bushwhacked up the drainage I was now descending, what a relief to know that no matter how bad it got someone had gone down the way I was, also ironic that this drainage probably hasn't seen a human in 10 years and there happened to be two of us in a day... it was exciting in the dark, plenty of 5th class climbing and a lot of ice to contend with, but it was only 0.6 miles to the truck, which took 3 hours in the dark... the majority of the "fun" packed into 900' of vertical loss in 0.2 miles.

I made it to the truck, made a couple calls to confirm I was ok, and headed home with 3 friends lined up to help in the AM.

turns out all things are better with good friends, with enough help, and daylight to ease the routfinding we were back at the truck by noon with the rest of the elk in one trip, all wrapped up with my personal elk hunts for the year!

Your passion for suffering makes me feel less lonely in this cold world of ours.

Congrats on another great hunt, and an awesome OTC bull!
I mean that's no Kodiak with it's lassies, but holy #*^@#* ballz, talk about in intense elk hunt and extraction. I can't imagine doing that.
Dang dude, that’s impressive. Well done.
I feel like all three of you worked harder than I did this year, by far, but thanks! The stories all of you share on here keep me from wussing out more often than you think.

This latest hunt report is to hunting what Scandinavian Black Metal is to music.

It was really cool to read your decision making processes, and see what a deep knowledge of the particular landscape and animals you hunt did to influence your decisions. Super informative. So congratulations on a hugely well-earned elk. I'm glad you didn't die!

This last hunt enforces how much knowing your home turf gives you such an advantage over other hunters hitting a unit for the first time. And also highlights how impossible it would be for me to hunt in the manner that you hunt. As my kids said....."too scared for me"!

I feel like all three of you worked harder than I did this year, by far, but thanks! The stories all of you share on here keep me from wussing out more often than you think.
Not a chance, the casualness with which you drop into hellholes, traverse terrain, backtrack, find new spots, tackle mts, etc. #nextlevel

...now if we could just get snowy to open up about his high mountain exploits.

Not sure about that, but the feeling is mutual. Probably my biggest motivator for being on HT is just hearing about all the badass hunts people on here do. Helps to be able push your own limits when you know of others doing the same.

I was expecting at some point you were breaking out the ropes, ..sets you apart from the other hunting machines on this site.😁
Who else would shoot an elk on the edge of a cliff?
Wild in depth story. Elk hunting takes effort. A+ @GrantK

Congrats on the elk and congrats on making it back to the truck in one piece. I've enjoyed following along...you've had quite the fall!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back