Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fate, Family and Friends - Old and New

WestKyHunt

there is so much more to this story than I'll be ever to type out. A story I'll be telling for years to come

Sometimes things in life play out like a fever dream.
Last night was one of them.

Like I was living a moment in the Outdoor Channel I grunted this buck to a stop at the end of visibility.
At the shot I don't see the tell-tale white flag flying away from me. Actually I don't see any movement.

Getting down and meeting up with my Uncle Bill we head up to begin the search. Shortly after I see the tell-tale shine of an eye, laying exactly where he once stood.
Somebody begins walking up the hill towards us. The neighboring hunter heard the shot and somehow knew to come over. His number 1 buck is laying at my feet and not his. After quick introductions the first thing he says; "I'm glad someone got that buck."
That says a lot about a man.

After some small ATV trouble we get back to the house and I call up my good friend Nathan who is more than happy to come lend a hand.
We get our in-the-field work done and take him to Nathan's garage.
We learn some new things, have some laughs, and work a little harder than smarter at one point.

What a night.

Last night ran late. Lessons learned slowly and at times the hard way.

2 pulleys make it easy work to lift a deer, they also make you hang a foot lower than no pulleys.

Leverage is your friend.

Bear hugging a carcass while your buddy takes pulley and rope out and ties new knots will hurt your back and humble your strength.
If you squeeze hard enough you can render some fat while you blow your back out.

Congrats. That’s really great that the guy was so cool about it. Grown men tend to get really butt hurt when someone harvests an animal they were after.
I’ve unfortunately been guilty of it myself at a point in my life.

Back