Fatal grizzly encounter

So what is the answer? I never said hunting would stop all attacks but it could possible could slow down expansion. The more they expand into more areas the more likely they are going to get into trouble. There is a lot more people in the back country but the last few attacks are not happening there. Last spring a guy was killed just north of West Yellowstone, he was just going fishing not far from his truck. This guy was on a day hike. Just shows you that you need to be aware at all times in Grizzly country or close to it as that is expanding.

Not saying hunting is the answer just think it is time to start to manage them. I don't think hunting them to extinction is either.
I don’t think there is a solution, just need to set expectations.

I agree we should be managing them, but not to eliminate encounters. Seems like some folks believe if we started “hunting” them, these attacks are a thing of the past. I disagree.

There are only two paths to eliminating griz attacks; keep humans out of griz country, or eliminate them as a species. Neither should happen. We just need to accept this as a part of the wild. Just like we accept car crashes, heart attacks, and exposure.

We love these animals, but human life has the priority. If we can’t be optimistic about avoiding/countering attacks, then some bears need to die, preferably via hunting.

Grizzly attacks are still pretty rare. You're still more likely to die from falling in Glacier National Park. Im not looking up statistics, but I'm pretty sure you are also more likely to die in a car wreck on the way to the trailhead.

Bears seem scarier than falling because it's easier to tell ourselves we won't fall.

Last edited:
This thread has to have some of the dumbest comments ever.....

Catastrophic event that leaves a family without a father, husband, brother, and a friend. I mentioned before that the family also just recently lost their home to a house fire.

Griz are always gonna be a factor, no matter what. If someone doesn't want to take the chance go somewhere else.

This thread has to have some of the dumbest comments ever.....

Catastrophic event that leaves a family without a father, husband, brother, and a friend. I mentioned before that the family also just recently lost their home to a house fire.

Griz are always gonna be a factor, no matter what. If someone doesn't want to take the chance go somewhere else.
You bring up a good point.

Without a doubt my first thought was sorrow for the family, which is always my first thought when tragedy strikes.

But if the tragedy possibly could have been avoided if certain precautions had been adhered to, then we do use the tragedy to teach both children and newcomers to the area, the dangers of wildlife and how to protect yourself and your family. Especially in regards to bears, moose, ice, weather, mountains, first aid.

We are not being disrespectful to the family in any way, when we refer to the tragedy and how it might have had a different outcome--"if" you had prepared differently or reacted differently.

Just my thoughts, but yes it was a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the family.

Last edited:

Without a doubt my first thought was sorrow for the family, which is always my first thought when tragedy strikes.

But if the tragedy possibly could have been avoided if certain precautions had been adhered to, then we do use the tragedy to teach both children and newcomers to the area, the dangers of wildlife and how to protect yourself and your family. Especially in regards to bears, moose, ice, weather, mountains, first aid.

We are not being disrespectful to the family in any way shape or form when we refer to the tragedy and how it might have had a different outcome--"if" you had prepared differently or reacted differently.

Just my thoughts, but yes it was a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the family, first and foremost.
My comment is in no way a referral to anything towards you, more so some of the comparative terms and statements made by others.

I've got a ton of respect and value your comments and opinions. You have more knowledge and personal experiences than that of most anyone on here.

I'm just a grumpy ol Jonas this Monday morning....

So what is the answer? I never said hunting would stop all attacks but it could possible could slow down expansion. The more they expand into more areas the more likely they are going to get into trouble. There is a lot more people in the back country but the last few attacks are not happening there. Last spring a guy was killed just north of West Yellowstone, he was just going fishing not far from his truck. This guy was on a day hike. Just shows you that you need to be aware at all times in Grizzly country or close to it as that is expanding.

Not saying hunting is the answer just think it is time to start to manage them. I don't think hunting them to extinction is either.
They're already being managed.

I’m heading to work on a road that I’ve driven 22,000 miles on in 10 months. There are 62 crosses along the road from my home to the job site. I don’t live in fear of that risk, but I do pay attention and consider road conditions and other drivers the every trip.

When you read my name in the paper there’s a far greater chance it will be from a vehicle accident than being killed by a bear no matter how many days I spend in the woods.

Do bears “seem scarier” than falling? Says who?

Guy had 4 kids, truly a terrible thing.

Obviously it is a terrible and tragic thing.

We are not being disrespectful to the family in any way, when we refer to the tragedy and how it might have had a different outcome--"if" you had prepared differently or reacted differently.

Just my thoughts, but yes it was a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the family.

As far as I know, no details about this attack have been released so we have no idea what precautions were or were not adhered to.

All we know is the general area the guy was hiking in and the day. They only thing that could be critiqued is that he split up from his partner, which does increase risk but many of us enjoy being in the wilderness alone and aren't willing to give that up.

We don't know if he had bear spray. We don't know if he was making noise. We don't know if he was aware of his surroundings. There is nothing to learn from at this point except sometimes tragedies happen.
Here is the actual link.

Thank you for this. Im on my way to drop some coin.

Last edited:
My two summers in AK were kind've an interesting case study in bear human interactions. During BOTH years, there was a brown bear hunting season.

The first summer, we would see brown bears every day. Sometimes up to 14 a day visible from the kitchen table. They were kind've a problem, and they were not afraid of anything but a gunshot early in the summer. Later in the summer gunshots quit doing anything.

Three years passed before I went back up. In that time they passed rule that any bear within 5 miles of a village could be shot... no tag... no season... no DLP headaches... you could just kill it.

That entire summer I saw two bears, and at the first sight, smell, sound of a human they took off running like their ass was on fire.

So, despite the fact that there was a season both years (not sure what the "hunting season" harvest was in that time, probably not much as it's a very remote area), it took a fairly serious change in management beyond just having a season to see an appreciable difference in bear behavior.

Sure don’t, especially because the Kudu in your profile picture deserved to die, but grizzly, wolves and cougars deserve to overrun Montana?? And yet, you have no issue hunting Kudu?

A simple Google search “are African kudu endangered” will bring you to many sites that say things just like this…
There may be only 118,000 kudus left in the wild in Africa, but by far the majority of kudus shot by foreign hunters are shot on private farms, mainly in South Africa where they are bred and stocked, just like many of the exotic animals in Texas, specifically for hunting.

May the Good Lord help this family and watch over our first responders.
Bear , human encounters happen. Fatal attacks are rare but garner a lot of emotions. And newspaper headlines. You'll have that.
As has been stated management plans for brown/grizzly bear should be followed. That's easily stated but not reality. Too much politics.
In the Kenai peninsula and many other areas of AK the federal government has overridden what our state biologists believe is a better plan. And the lawyers make money. Our biologists would rather see a substantial number of brown bears be harvested. Feds disagree, nothing happens. And there are less caribou, moose, n such. And less money going into management from licensing n tags.
Our state laws do not allow an out of state resident hunt bear without a guide. Now hunting bears just became a hunt for the folks who can afford 35 grand to hunt. When there are plenty of sports folks who would love the opportunity to harvest these bears, but can't. Because they have to hire a guide.
Not many industries where the government makes you use a private service if you want to use public resources. And there are lobbyists in every state to make sure. Paid by non residents, to protect their rights to hunt according to the guides.
I'm no expert. But I do spend a lot of time around in bear country. Moose country too, and have to constantly watch out while in our yard. I thought I was going to get it last week.
I believe that more opportunities to hunt bears of both color exist. Politics has made it so the average hunter either can't afford to. Or allowed to get the opportunity to experience a great hunt on our public lands whether you harvest a bear or not. And put more money into management while assisting our biologists in overall management goals. That bears are just one part of.
As a hunter, I enjoy the feeling that I get when I'm out in the bush in bear country. And am aware of the risk that I could have a bear encounter and except that risk. It is part of the overall experience that I believe we probably all have in common. And is partly part of the drive, being able to encounter wildlife. Wether hunting or just cruising along on a walkabout. Bears, moose, snakes, hogs shale covered cliffs with no bottom. Dealing with bottomless black holes that will eat you up.
It's all the overall experience

May the Good Lord help this family and watch over our first responders.
Bear , human encounters happen. Fatal attacks are rare but garner a lot of emotions. And newspaper headlines. You'll have that.
As has been stated management plans for brown/grizzly bear should be followed. That's easily stated but not reality. Too much politics.
In the Kenai peninsula and many other areas of AK the federal government has overridden what our state biologists believe is a better plan. And the lawyers make money. Our biologists would rather see a substantial number of brown bears be harvested. Feds disagree, nothing happens. And there are less caribou, moose, n such. And less money going into management from licensing n tags.
Our state laws do not allow an out of state resident hunt bear without a guide. Now hunting bears just became a hunt for the folks who can afford 35 grand to hunt. When there are plenty of sports folks who would love the opportunity to harvest these bears, but can't. Because they have to hire a guide.
Not many industries where the government makes you use a private service if you want to use public resources. And there are lobbyists in every state to make sure. Paid by non residents, to protect their rights to hunt according to the guides.
I'm no expert. But I do spend a lot of time around in bear country. Moose country too, and have to constantly watch out while in our yard. I thought I was going to get it last week.
I believe that more opportunities to hunt bears of both color exist. Politics has made it so the average hunter either can't afford to. Or allowed to get the opportunity to experience a great hunt on our public lands whether you harvest a bear or not. And put more money into management while assisting our biologists in overall management goals. That bears are just one part of.
As a hunter, I enjoy the feeling that I get when I'm out in the bush in bear country. And am aware of the risk that I could have a bear encounter and except that risk. It is part of the overall experience that I believe we probably all have in common. And is partly part of the drive, being able to encounter wildlife. Wether hunting or just cruising along on a walkabout. Bears, moose, snakes, hogs shale covered cliffs with no bottom. Dealing with bottomless black holes that will eat you up.
It's all the overall experience
That's a lot of words ... but I think I agree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back