Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fat guy running a 10k

Good luck Smalls. As for the treadmill, if you crank up the incline above 1.5 degrees you start to better replicate running outside. The treadmill can be a great tool, especially when you start to try and lengthen your stride. I like to use the treadmill for interval training to increase my pace, but I never drop the incline below 1.5 degrees.

I am a clydesdale as well, and I actually switched to barefoot running (five-toes) and it has been great for my legs. For bigger guys it definitely will help your joints if you strike farther forward on your foot. This will allow your calf and quad to absorb the shock rather than your joints. If you think about it locking your leg out and heel striking when you run is really a de-evolution in human physiology that only occurred in the last 50 years when "jogging" started. I put on 8.5 miles on grass/dirt trails yesterday and my legs feel great today.

2Rocky- I don't think anyone has to worry about me "liking" running. I loathe it but I am tolerating it. I am using the "Hal Higdon" training schedule, although I got started training fairly late as I haven't had really clearly defined goals when I started working out. I wanted to get more fit, I wanted to lose weight, I wanted to look better, and finally I decided I wanted to run a 10k. I can do 4 miles, so I need to stretch another 2 miles in 2.5 weeks... with the gains I've seen lately I am pretty sure I can do that.

One of the hardest things to overcome is the transition from the treadmill to pavement. It is much more strenuous to run outside compared to the spinning belt under your feet. I've found it works my lower calf muscles (low calf/high ankle) differently so that is where I seem to have the endurance issues. Unfortunately it wasn't terribly nice to run outside until the end of April this year.

I remember saying that...Then I said I liked how I felt AFTER a run. Now my kids say "dad, you are in a bad mood. Did you not get your run?" You are well on your way. Don't weaken. That obstacle course run will be fun.

2Rocky- I don't think anyone has to worry about me "liking" running. I loathe it but I am tolerating it. I am using the "Hal Higdon" training schedule, although I got started training fairly late as I haven't had really clearly defined goals when I started working out. I wanted to get more fit, I wanted to lose weight, I wanted to look better, and finally I decided I wanted to run a 10k. I can do 4 miles, so I need to stretch another 2 miles in 2.5 weeks... with the gains I've seen lately I am pretty sure I can do that.

One of the hardest things to overcome is the transition from the treadmill to pavement. It is much more strenuous to run outside compared to the spinning belt under your feet. I've found it works my lower calf muscles (low calf/high ankle) differently so that is where I seem to have the endurance issues. Unfortunately it wasn't terribly nice to run outside until the end of April this year.

You will get them extra 2 miles no problem. And yes, the TM is different. I normally set the incline to 1-1.5% and it is closer to outside effort. But the pavement has you using different muscles. (TM is definitely will prepare your cardio for your running, but falls short on replicating road running)

Fall in behind some hottie in a tight fitting top and the miles will fly by. Who knows, you might even run the half and not know it!

Them Treadmills is dangerous...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3907-1366056550-17.gif

good on you guys for having the get up and go to do these things. but to be fair, I did walk from the house to the barn to get the riding lawn mower the other day.:p

So last night I recorded my longest run to date at 4.6 miles. I used the aforementioned couch to 10k app for the guidance on the workout and I'll probably continue with that program for the duration. My goal is to do the 10k without walking and at a 9:30min/mile pace. The run went well and I felt like I could have kept going. The only issue I had is nearing the end of my run the bottom of my left foot got pins and needles as though it was falling asleep. Is this an arch issue? It was terribly uncomfortable for the last 3/4 mile.

Today is a day off then tomorrow I do two 25 min runs with a one minute walk between. If I keep last nights pace I should be over 5 miles for the time allowed. I have been skeptical to this point that I'd actually be ready for the 18th of May but now I am pretty darn confident that I'll be able to do it.

I'm an idiot.

So the other night I looked at my confirmation email and realized I completely schmaltsed up my schmaltsing registration and registered for the 5k... not the 10k coming up this weekend in Fargo. My goal for the last several months has to be to run a 10k and for the Fargo run it is not an option since they have a hard registration deadline for the 10k and up races. I don't want to run a 5k. I told myself and others I was running a 10k.

So what am I to do. I am ready for the 10k, mentally and physically. It is complete and utter disappointment that I screwed this up and I have no desire to do the 5k. I could suck it up just run the 5k. Or, I can find another 10k that I have to drive 3.5 hours to so I can run for an hour (hopefully closer to 55 minutes) and then drive home...

So there it is, I am taking tomorrow off so that I can drive to Little Falls, MN and run an evening 10k. My wife isn't particularly excited about my plan and also thinks I am an idiot.That said, I feel like I'm not going to be satisfied unless I do it.

As much as I don't like running. The challenge is somewhat satisfying and I see myself eyeing a half this fall possibly.

I'm an idiot.

So the other night I looked at my confirmation email and realized I completely schmaltsed up my schmaltsing registration and registered for the 5k... not the 10k coming up this weekend in Fargo. My goal for the last several months has to be to run a 10k and for the Fargo run it is not an option since they have a hard registration deadline for the 10k and up races. I don't want to run a 5k. I told myself and others I was running a 10k.

So what am I to do. I am ready for the 10k, mentally and physically. It is complete and utter disappointment that I screwed this up and I have no desire to do the 5k. I could suck it up just run the 5k. Or, I can find another 10k that I have to drive 3.5 hours to so I can run for an hour (hopefully closer to 55 minutes) and then drive home...

So there it is, I am taking tomorrow off so that I can drive to Little Falls, MN and run an evening 10k. My wife isn't particularly excited about my plan and also thinks I am an idiot.That said, I feel like I'm not going to be satisfied unless I do it.

As much as I don't like running. The challenge is somewhat satisfying and I see myself eyeing a half this fall possibly.

Are you planning on winning?

Cause if not, you could probably just run the 10k. I don't think any fun run personnel will care. Or if you want to to be proper, call the race director and I'm sure you can switch.

When you finish the 5K just keep going another. Seems easier than driving to Little Falls.

What ever you decide, best of luck. Get ready for the 1/2, it is a fun experience.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back