Yeti GOBOX Collection

Fat Assed ATV Riders (aka Blue Ribbon Coalition) upset w/ Smokey Bear

JoseCuervo

The Fat-Assed ATV crowd is feeling a little insecure about their right to destroy My Public Lands. :rolleyes:
M_IMAGE.11acd567220.93.88.fa.d0.8360d963.jpg

Off-road group says Smokey Bear is unfair

WASHINGTON -- An off-road vehicle group is asking the Forest Service to withdraw a public service ad featuring Smokey Bear.

The BlueRibbon Coalition says the ad is misleading and unfair, and sends the message that off-road vehicles are to blame for starting forest fires even when operated properly.

In the ad, Smokey Bear tells two all-terrain vehicle riders not to start their vehicles in a national forest because the ATVs give off sparks that could start a wildfire.

The Idaho-based coalition has written letters urging the Forest Service and the Ad Council, which produced the 30-second spot, to withdraw the ad.

The Forest Service says the ad is under review.

Have you seen what Illegal Immigration has done to my public lands?

Back when I worked for CBP, they took us on a heli tour of SE Arizona. There were trashpiles from illegals larger than our county dump. The trails from the sky is also unbelievable.

Jose is the ultimate hypocrite; he despises the idiot ATV riders who destroy the environment, rightfully so. Yet he applauds the destruction of the environment by the illegal immigrants. It is typical of the left-wing conspiracy tough.

Bullsheet. I'm not thrilled about ATVs or the clowns who ride them, but I've YET to see one blow sparks out the exhaust. Doesn't happen, and anyone who says it does is a liar. Smokey Bear can choke on his precious forests for all I care. Out here we ban logging, and overgrow forests for decades just so a lighting storm can set 1,000+ fires and burn quite a bit of it up. Thats how California's summer's been this year. That's sheer brilliance in my book.

You are right on that, Dave! Driving through the Monterrey-Carmel area, the brush is unbelievably thick and just waiting for the slightest spark, particularly under drought conditions. Either do controlled burns or do brush clearing. Appropriate logging would certainly help.

I'm not thrilled about ATVs or the clowns who ride them, but I've YET to see one blow sparks out the exhaust. Doesn't happen, and anyone who says it does is a liar.
Guess that fire I was personally on as a resource advisor last summer that was started and reported by a guy on a rental ATV was totally fake... ;) I guess that's the last charity ride that chap went on. There's about 400acres of Wilderness (they guy was on a legal cherry-stemmed road) that says I am not a liar...

FWIW, I think many/most public lands require that all ATV's have their spark arrestor thingy on the muffler intact. The one mentioned above did.

Not that I condone the Smokey Bear message of putting out any/all fires. I'm more of a Johnny Horizon guy myself...

I have heard of ATV's starting fires in deep dry grass with a hot exhaust system, but not shooting sparks......

4 wheelers now a days all have a spark arrestor on the muffler. Lots of people do mods on their 4 wheelers and take the arrestor off. And yes, unfortunately, a 4 wheeler without an arrestor could start a fire. So can a pickup truck or car for that matter. Shit happens. Deal with it.

And I hope I see Smokey The Bear during bear season someday. Then we won't have to worry about his ads anymore.

Back