Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Fantastic Trail Internet Research Resource!

Sytes

Came across a gem of a tool while internet researching various trails, reading whatever there is about the various trails of interest, and watching nature hike videos of trails... I came across this internet resource that is a really nice, one stop shop for most trail info. Sure there is always more to research though from a start point, this is pretty sweet. Figure I'd share it here for others who may find some use. Yes, I know - it incorporates the vile mountain cycle along with hiking, etc. Take it for the resource it offers and enjoy what it offers. ;) Edit: If you scroll out far enough, it will share blobs with the total trails for each state thus far detailed. No, not all trails... though it is worth checking if one you're interested is available. Even if your more interested to know how heavily the trail is used... whatever floats your boat... pro or con mountain cycles, it's pretty cool info.

I found a random trail to use as an example... Oti Park Trail #732. It give tons of information for the trail AND it will run a virtual 3D route of the trail following elevation adjustments!

1598665273150.png

Edit added: For Montana residents and non residents planning a trek to MT, another good resource:

Last edited:
Pretty sweet... Keeping public lands in public hands. Pretty awesome setting that enables selection of all public land user interests (not a boots only crowd pleaser.)

1598669308983.png

Another site with trails buffed by details. Didn't have my specific trails though one another ht member shared.

Still trying to find one that accounts for FS roads. Season, gated, decommissioned, etc...
Only way I've found thus far is phoning the district FS. One would think instead of having to frequently update water resistant large maps to somewhat manage road status, online would be a simplified means to update. Then again, maybe $10 makes it worth it... pita for a, "paperless" gov intent.

Odd... Since my last, another member passed this internet resource my way. Hell, never knew it existed. This is a pretty awesome tool for those wanting to research hunt locations and other opportunities.

A quick snip of a random area and additional options within. Still trying to figure the road map / road seasons, gated, etc...:

1599214251433.png

I'll put in another plug for caltopo.com
You can do all sorts of e-scouting, export lines into Google Earth, create maps and export them as geo-referenced as well.

This default base layer is either USGS 7.5' or Forest Service Visitor Map. You can toggle additional base layers (like NAIP) and other overlays.

You can trace a trail (or draw your own off trail route) using the "+Add" dropdown, "Line", "Snap To: " (top right), and once finished, click on the line and select profile or select the line in the pane to the left (not shown on this screenshot).
1599235344609.png
NAIP is turned on at 70%.

1599235754841.png

It takes a while to learn all the features and options, but it is my go to for trip planning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back