Family Connections

IlliniFIre

Folks, I have what is likely a silly question. To be fair, I'm a new hunter as it is, had my first two whitetails in Illinois this year. That being said, I've been bitten hard by the bug, and I hope to see an Elk hunt in the future. The only way it could happen is on public land, and you people are then top of the line when it comes to that. My question is, would it be worth it to look at units that are near where I have family when the time comes? I have cousins in Albuquerque, NM, and Grand Junction, CO. More distant relatives (i.e. my parent's cousin) in Pocatello, ID Given the size of those localities I figure there may be a fair amount of pressure at the nearby National Forest or other public ground? I'm by no means well off so the thought of paying a grand for just memories is also a hang up, but hell I've been bitten so hard I really want to get at least a mini-slam before I'm done.

I'll add that archery is not out of the question for me. I'm solid at 40 yards after my first year with a bow. Rifle will be new to me, but I just snagged a 7mm rem mag Savage 116 on clearance so I will be prepared by the time this could happen.

Thanks again to all you wonderful people who have answered questions for a complete noob before.

I'd say the obvious answer is yes, at least to start with anyway. Especially if those relatives are hunters themselves, or if they know of any elk hunters who hunt the area. It's s starting point.
If you're looking at their locations as a means to crash during the nights during the hunts. I'll tell you, elk hunting isn't anything like whitetail hunting and driving back to town at nights is not feasible.
But that's just my thoughts.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back