Fall turkey! How do you do it??

D4570

:confused: I've got a chance for a second turkey this year. I've never hunted turkey in the fall before. It will be late in the season and may be cold. Do you call or just look around? We can use rifles or shot guns I'm planing to use a rifle.Please I need all the help I can get.
footinmouth.gif

Even though I understand it can be done, I have never tried calling turkeys in the fall. Typically we either ambush them along known travel routes or do small drives to get out fall turkeys. Have also been known to scout around until birds are found and then try to pull a sneak on them. Seems to work around here.

Can't imagine you would have much trouble getting one with a rifle.

hump.gif
Thanks in Montana it's finding them. We have lots of them , but there scattered all over the brakes, million of aces. Being new to turkey hunting I just don't know what to look for!
fight.gif

I have heard when you have located a flock alot of people bust the flock up by running into it,then start calling alittle to coax em to ya.
This is my first fall hunt aswell so Im blasting the first hen I see to try and thin the hens out.Hopefully most people here in Wa will whack a hen then maybe they wont be henned up so bad.

Buffalo gun & Kraven,
Resources abound describing "fall" techniques.
Do some research. Get a copy of Tom Kelly's "The Tenth Legion" and read it. You'll gain some appreciation for the fall opportunity. There is a huge difference tween KILLING a fall bird and HUNTING a fall bird. Try hunt a gobbler. The ladies yield our future and I try sway anyone from shooting hens even if it is legal. "Henned up" is an often used term that frustrated hunters use. Hens, poults and young gobblers are very vocal in the fall. It's a great time to observe and listen to the differnces in tone, cadence, and the variety of sound these birds make. Burn these calls into your brain and try replicate them in the spring. The fact of the matter is whacking a hen will NOT keep a gobbler from associating with hens during the spring breeding season. Just my 2 cents worth.
WD

Hey WD thanks for the advice on fall hunting.The area we hunt has way too many hens in it.The Tom I ended up getting this Spring had 6 hens with him and I just happened to get between him and them and got LUCKY,this was the 3rd day I hunted the same bird and he would not come to a call for nothing.And YES we were FRUSTRATED this season with people finding our lil honey hole and alot of hens,there will be four of us hunting this coming season and I for one will be taking a hen and will be making my first wing bone call since they say the hens and Jake bones make a sweeter call,higher pitch.
I am counting the days we hopefully will start transplanting the Merriams over to the west side of the state,that will be nice.

I have hunted turkeys durning the fall. The trick is to find the flock of turkeys and split them up as stated in the other threads. Next find a high point of ground preferable in the woods and start calling with a regrouping call or a lost polt, such as a kee-kee run. A majority of the groups of turkeys you see will consist of hens and young turkeys. If you find some toms your standard yelps, purrs, and clucks work just fine. Hunting in the fall is harder, but just as fun.

:eek: Out where we can hunt fall turkeys we don't have "woods" per say, there are evergreen trees but there VERY SPARSE .The high ground is the top of the river breaks every thing goes down.
fight.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back