Caribou Gear

'Fahrenheit 9/11' Earns $21.8 Million in Three Days

Tom,

Instead of answering for Cali, why not encourage him to go view the movie and ACTUALLY form his own opinion? Wouldn't you be interested in Cali's opinion based on his unique perspective on the movie? Nobody would have the same perspective that Cali would, and by you answering the questions for him, you once again deny him the opportunity to ACTUALLY form his own opinion. Tom, you are no better than the talking heads on AM radio that feed the right-wingers their opinions.

Oh, by the way Tom, what is your excuse for not ACTAULLY seeing the movie??? Are you one of the victims of the Dubya economy that can't afford the $6?

AS I said, when it is free and not a single cent goes to Moore, I will see the movie. I do not have to see it, just because someone else thinks I should. You see, I do not care what EG thinks of me.

He can say whatever he wants, and it does not bother me in the least.

I have heard enough from enough reliable sources that even if the bulk of the movie were true, there is enough deceit and "yellow journalism" that it disgusts me. I do not enrichen liars. I do not patronize prostitutes, and do not have to do so in order to form a valid opinion. That opinion may only be valid for me - but that is all that matters - to me. And I could care less about your opinion - of me.

But then I was also the kid that got in fights with bullies picking on the little kids (even when I was smaller than the bully) and the kid in the "MGM" program that got disgusted with the egotism of the other kids in the class and was excused to go to the library for individual study.

Cali,

Uhhhhh....weren't you the one that was posting the nonsense right-wing crap about John Kerry owning the Heinz Ketchup Corporation and moving jobs off-shore???? That was obviously completely false and "yellow journalism", but you bought into it, hook, line, and sinker.

Go buy the ticket to Garfield and sneak into 9/11...

Documentary maker Michael Moore has hit out at movie giants Disney for releasing a patriotic film after refusing to back Fahrenheit 9/11.

Moore was outraged when Disney backed out of plans to distribute Moore's stinging critique of US President George W Bush's reaction to the September 11 terrorist attacks, claiming they didn't want to get involved in politics.

And he's seething now Disney is distributing America's Heart & Soul - a pro-America film that is being promoted by Move America Forward, a group that had tried to block the release of Fahrenheit 9/11, according to US site The Scoop.

A statement on the director's website reads, "Disney joining forces with the right wing kooks who have come together to attempt to censor Fahrenheit 9/11 must mean that Dumbo is now in charge of the company's strategic decisions.

"First, Disney tried to stop the movie from being released and now it is aligning itself with the very people who are trying to intimidate the movie theatres from showing the movie. Even Donald Duck would tell you this makes no sense."

`Fahrenheit 9/11' is a wake-up call

As a lifetime Republican, I was skeptical of Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911, but went to see it anyway, expecting a healthy dose of over-the-top banter between Mr. Moore and hapless interviewees in government, the popular press, and at large.

What I saw, however, was a compelling assembly of facts and testimony taken directly from our nation's collective experiences and a clear indictment of our government's behavior before and since the 9/11 tragedy.

And when you consider all of it, you cannot come to any other conclusion than this: The Bush administration and its benefactors have clearly manipulated the fears of the American people for the benefit of their own private interests.

When history is written, we will look back at this presidency, and we will be ashamed as Americans for what has happened, and that we were too complacent and trusting to notice.

Thank you, Michael Moore, for waking us up.

Robert White

One thing about being married. Maybe not in every case, but most, the spouse is part owner of the marriage. Or we could also say things like we are products of those we associate with... ;)

:eek: I know, I know, gunner won't get this an put up some silly thing about under standing what was posted...

That is fine, the msg wasn't meant for him any way if he can't get it...

Good enough for Junior and NASCAR....

Moore's Public Service
By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: July 2, 2004

Since it opened, "Fahrenheit 9/11" has been a hit in both blue and red America, even at theaters close to military bases. Last Saturday, Dale Earnhardt Jr. took his Nascar crew to see it. The film's appeal to working-class Americans, who are the true victims of George Bush's policies, should give pause to its critics, especially the nervous liberals rushing to disassociate themselves from Michael Moore.

There has been much tut-tutting by pundits who complain that the movie, though it has yet to be caught in any major factual errors , uses association and innuendo to create false impressions. Many of these same pundits consider it bad form to make a big fuss about the Bush administration's use of association and innuendo to link the Iraq war to 9/11. Why hold a self-proclaimed polemicist to a higher standard than you hold the president of the United States?

And for all its flaws, "Fahrenheit 9/11" performs an essential service. It would be a better movie if it didn't promote a few unproven conspiracy theories, but those theories aren't the reason why millions of people who aren't die-hard Bush-haters are flocking to see it. These people see the film to learn true stories they should have heard elsewhere, but didn't. Mr. Moore may not be considered respectable, but his film is a hit because the respectable media haven't been doing their job.

For example, audiences are shocked by the now-famous seven minutes, when George Bush knew the nation was under attack but continued reading "My Pet Goat" with a group of children. Nobody had told them that the tales of Mr. Bush's decisiveness and bravery on that day were pure fiction.

Or consider the Bush family's ties to the Saudis. The film suggests that Mr. Bush and his good friend Prince Bandar bin Sultan, the ambassador known to the family as Bandar Bush , have tried to cover up the extent of Saudi involvement in terrorism. This may or may not be true. But what shocks people, I think, is the fact that nobody told them about this side of Mr. Bush's life.

Mr. Bush's carefully constructed persona is that of an all-American regular guy — not like his suspiciously cosmopolitan opponent, with his patrician air. The news media have cheerfully gone along with the pretense. How many stories have you seen contrasting John Kerry's upper-crusty vacation on Nantucket with Mr. Bush's down-home time at the ranch?

But the reality, revealed by Mr. Moore, is that Mr. Bush has always lived in a bubble of privilege. And his family, far from consisting of regular folks with deep roots in the heartland, is deeply enmeshed, financially and personally, with foreign elites — with the Saudis in particular.

Mr. Moore's greatest strength is a real empathy with working-class Americans that most journalists lack. Having stripped away Mr. Bush's common-man mask, he uses his film to make the case, in a way statistics never could, that Mr. Bush's policies favor a narrow elite at the expense of less fortunate Americans — sometimes, indeed, at the cost of their lives.

In a nation where the affluent rarely serve in the military, Mr. Moore follows Marine recruiters as they trawl the malls of depressed communities, where enlistment is the only way for young men and women to escape poverty. He shows corporate executives at a lavish conference on Iraq, nibbling on canapés and exulting over the profit opportunities, then shows the terrible price paid by the soldiers creating those opportunities.

The movie's moral core is a harrowing portrait of a grieving mother who encouraged her children to join the military because it was the only way they could pay for their education, and who lost her son in a war whose justification she no longer understands.

Viewers may come away from Mr. Moore's movie believing some things that probably aren't true. For example, the film talks a lot about Unocal's plans for a pipeline across Afghanistan, which I doubt had much impact on the course of the Afghan war. Someday, when the crisis of American democracy is over, I'll probably find myself berating Mr. Moore, who supported Ralph Nader in 2000, for his simplistic antiglobalization views.

But not now. "Fahrenheit 9/11" is a tendentious, flawed movie, but it tells essential truths about leaders who exploited a national tragedy for political gain, and the ordinary Americans who paid the price.

LMAO!!! you are funny...

I didn't realize any one person any more fully owned any big company. Even stock holders are partial owners... Yep I'm not smart enough to see it. I am glad you showed me the errors of my way's.. :D
Here is another good one I have noticed, and will put it up for the public to see.
Yes, while Bill and I post a lot on here and could be construde as post hogs to a point. I see some one else that likes to see just how many posts each of their topics could get, even if they have to constantly put 2 and 3 posts in a row to try and prove a point no one is reading... Keep up the good work.

It does show the signs of a sort of desperation though, just an unsmart observation... ;)

I form my own opinion of the news, just as Cali seems to. That guy seems like an entertainer. If Kerry wins I might go see it to try and understand the lies that confused the voters. I've posted several issues and I've seen the guy on talk shows and it appears there are lots of other things I'd rather be entertained with.

Have a good July 4th all!

ElkGunner - as you had pointed out at the time, I was wrong about Kerry and the Heinz company, I admitted it publicly and did not just shut down the topic to hide my error, but took my lumps as an honorable man.

Gotta problem with that? :rolleyes: Here is a link even -
http://www.huntandlodge.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=002267

Even a quote if you are too lazy to read the previous topic -
Okay - I have to be honest here - under another topic, ElkGunner pointed out that Kerry's wife's trust or foundation owns less than 3 or 4 % of Heinz now and they personally own none of it. So it is hard to hold Kerry responsible for what that company does... AND a lot of this stuff is made overseas for sale overseas.

I still don't like Kerry, but I don't want to be a hypocrite.

Gloat, if you want.... ;)

No gloating, just more encouraging you to go see a movie, and form YOUR opinion based on the movie.

Cali, based on your military experience, it would be interesting to hear YOUR comments on the clips of the soldiers in Iraq, and their comments/actions in the movie.

You have to admidt it is funny, that the only person who bought into the propoganda you posted was ElkCheese, and even after your "mea culpa", ElkCheese is still gulliable enough to believe it.

I guess you can kind of see how effective propoganda/lies are with the un-educated.... :(

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back