Yeti GOBOX Collection

Factory Ammunition Help - 7 Rem Mag

Which Round to Start With?

• Total voters

WestKyHunt

I purchased my first 7mm Rem Mag and need help with which factory ammo I should start with.
From what's available (and what I've read up to this point), I have narrowed down to these 3 choices.

The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard w/ VX3i Leupold. Will be used from whitetails to elk, and maybe one day moose.

I had Barnes VOR-TX on the list, but have read reviews stating an average of 4 "flyers" per box and others with dented casings.

I am aware the best thing would be to buy all 3 and see which performs best, and over time I will, but after sinking over $1000 in this setup my wife is ready to cut my spending off

I've had good luck with the previous Hornady iteration - 139 gr GMX Superformance. Switching to 160 gr Accubonds this year.

Buy a box and go shoot, that's the best thing you can do. What works or doesn't work for someone else doesn't matter as much for you and your rifle.

The Fed Trophy copper has shot very well for me in my Rem 700, it also shot well for two friends both with Tikka T3x's.

I've had good luck with Nosler brand E-tips in other rifles as well.

I would give Barnes a try. My Vanguard 7mm mag loved the 160 TSX factory ammo. All those you have listed will do the trick!

If your worried about cost drive down to wally world and just buy rem green box. premium ammo: nosler 160 ab load is great but you may want to be leadfree so not sure, all my bullets contain lead

I hate to vote on something like this because as you stated you do need to buy a box of each to see what shoots best in your setup. That said I will vote Hornady as I have had good results in a 7mm-08 with the 139 Superformance load. Conversely in a few of my rifles Federal Trophy Copper has been, meh. Another poster has great results with Federal. It really comes down to what works in your setup.

I have yet to try e-Tips but that is on my agenda at some point.

If your worried about cost drive down to wally world and just buy rem green box. premium ammo: nosler 160 ab load is great but you may want to be leadfree so not sure, all my bullets contain lead
I must agree. I've used plain old Core-Lokt ammo for almost 40 years now and they have never let me down. They shoot very well in my rifle.
For me 150 grain for deer and antelope and 175 grain for elk.
I'm not a long range shooter so for me 400 yards is a long shot. At least for me they work very well so I see no need to change what works.

I voted Nosler E-tips. If you do not have to shoot lead-free, I would buy a box of Hornady Whitetails, Blue Box Federal Power Shocks and Remington Core-Locks (or Winchester Power Points). That will give you plenty of ammo to break in the barrel and I bet you will find a shooter among these three. Plus, you can save the brass for someone who hand loads.

If you need to go copper might as well go with the lowest cost, although they’re probably all similar in price. All quality manufacturers and who knows what your rifle will like.

What I know: my Rem 700 Sendero doesn’t like Winchester Expedition Long Range ammo with 168 gr Accubond LRs. It LOVES Hornady Precision Hunter ammo with 162 gr ELD-X. One hole with multiple shots at 100 yds.

But, I’m switching to copper.

I must agree. I've used plain old Core-Lokt ammo for almost 40 years now and they have never let me down. They shoot very well in my rifle.
For me 150 grain for deer and antelope and 175 grain for elk.
I'm not a long range shooter so for me 400 yards is a long shot. At least for me they work very well so I see no need to change what works.
I’ve got two 7mm‘s and both like Core-Lokt ammo. 😉 one I shoot 175 other 150. Best of luck

When I was hunting with a 7RM I never, ever hesitated using a 150 Nosler BT. It's tougher than most care to give it credit for and I never had to make a 2nd shot. If your stuck on a mono, for what ever reason, I'd lean to the Federal brand. I bought a ton of their 140TTX (7/08) when Federal discontinued that line for $15 a box. They shoot well enough to keep me happy with the brand of ammo. But I'm still going to to hunt with Nosler BT's, or AB's.

I stocked up on a great deal of Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Partitions decades ago. Down to my last box. Great ammo.

The only factory ammo my XBolt 7rem mag likes is the 168g Federal Premium Berger Hybrids. Heavier bullet seems to group better. Best of luck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back