Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Factory Ammunition Help - 7 Rem Mag

Which Round to Start With?

• Total voters
I’d consider something larger than 150grain if your gonna use them elk or possibly moose one day. Couple good options to look into would be the Hornady precision’s hunter 162 grain ELD-X or the new Winchester expedition long range 168 grain AccuBond - both shoot well outta my 7mm

10 identical rifles will each prefer different ammo so it is really a crap shoot. I reload and shoot ttsx but I moved last year and couldnt unpack fast enough to whip up loads for my tikka. Bought some 150gr vor tx and it shot great and did the usual drt thing. Quality of ammo was great. No fliers or dented cases. Expensive But I feel the ttsx is the best hunting bullet there is. An argument for another post tho.

My wife shoots a 7mm and it likes the 150 gmx we haven’t ran the etips or the federal thru it so can’t speak for them

Shot 3/4 of a box of cheap federal power-shocks to get sighted in and then fine tuned with Hornady Outfitter GMX today.
Mostly shot right @ or sub MOA. Every 3 or 4 federals would be 2-3 inches off.
GMX was without fliers but not the tack drivers I was hoping for.

I am not sure if it is the new rifle, the ammo or I am expecting too much.
At times I could stack 2 inside one another but never 3.
Using a lead sled for all shots to minimize human error.
My buddy has some nosler partions we can hand load to see if the rifle likes it, this will probably be my next step

Shot 3/4 of a box of cheap federal power-shocks to get sighted in and then fine tuned with Hornady Outfitter GMX today.
Mostly shot right @ or sub MOA. Every 3 or 4 federals would be 2-3 inches off.
GMX was without fliers but not the tack drivers I was hoping for.

I am not sure if it is the new rifle, the ammo or I am expecting too much.
At times I could stack 2 inside one another but never 3.
Using a lead sled for all shots to minimize human error.
My buddy has some nosler partions we can hand load to see if the rifle likes it, this will probably be my next step

Get rid of the lead sled. Doesn’t allow for a good cheek weld or solid body position on the rifle in most cases. Also they can damage your rifle/stock. Another thing is the front sling stud can catch the front rest/bag and throw shots.
I prefer a bipod/rear bag or front rest/rear bag.

Get rid of the lead sled. Doesn’t allow for a good cheek weld or solid body position on the rifle in most cases. Also they can damage your rifle/stock. Another thing is the front sling stud can catch the front rest/bag and throw shots.
I prefer a bipod/rear bag or front rest/rear bag.
I agree but when you are working up loads for a 300 it starts to hurt. Maybe I’m just a weenie

I’d consider something larger than 150grain if your gonna use them elk or possibly moose one day. Couple good options to look into would be the Hornady precision’s hunter 162 grain ELD-X or the new Winchester expedition long range 168 grain AccuBond - both shoot well outta my 7mm
You don't need heavy weights with monolithics, they out-penetrate standard cup and core bullets.If anything they work better with a lighter weight and higher velocity.
Completely opposite end of the spectrum than an ELDX, which disintegrate and lack penetration.

I shoot 175 gr hornady round nose interlocts. Good mushroom, extremely accurate, great consistancy. However they quit making them. I have the last 5 boxes on earth. I am assuming I will die before I run out not counting the 600 or 700 I have loaded.

I have a Lead Sled, don't like it for all the above named reasons.
I have good luck with anything from both 150 and 175 cheap blue box Federal YMMV.

I can now attest that the Hornady GMX will indeed kill.
The 7mm Rem Mag made its first kill with the harvest of a WT buck.
55yard shot through both lungs. He made it <50yards

Attachments

• 20201117_174229.jpg
    20201117_174229.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Nosler Trophy Grade 160 AB, Nosler Trophy Grade 140 AB. Federal Premium 160 AB. My experience is that most rifles will shoot one or all of these very well.

I don't own anything in 7 mag, but these days if I bought it new I'd likely start with what I could get. Under the right conditions most any of those will or should boom flop a critter. I'd go with the one most likely to do the least meat damage.

I don't own anything in 7 mag, but these days if I bought it new I'd likely start with what I could get. Under the right conditions most any of those will or should boom flop a critter. I'd go with the one most likely to do the least meat damage.
Wish I had the foresight to buy all the brands when I purchased this rifle last year.
Was being cheap and now don't have a choice if I need to buy any. Luckily I don't, as I have a box of federal power-shocks and ~10 GMX. More than enough to get me through 2021.... long as I don't knock the scope lol

We used Hornady Precision Hunter 162 gr on our new to us Winchester Model 70 this year. We tried 4-5 different brands and this round shot very consistently for us.

I also have a weatherby Vanguard as well. My rifle loves Federal Premium 165 Gamekeeper . I reload , but don't need to for this caliber. tack driver out of box.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back