Face Coverings ??

I'm convinced that elk have better eyesight than deer, although certainly not to the extreme of antelope or turkeys. I really don't bother with a facemask when hunting elk. The absolute biggest consideration when it comes to getting close to elk is the wind. If they smell you, and regardless of all the scent eliminator gimmicks you may have invested in - they WILL if you get upwind.

The 2 biggest things concerns regarding their vision is to stay in shadows and limit you movement. Do that and they'll have trouble identifying you as a threat.

I only do it as three lines under each eye. This also let's other hunters know I'm dead serious.

All joking aside, my only contribution is deer hunting. I've had deer pretty close without figuring out what I was. Granted I was in a treestand. I think scent and movement will be bigger factors before skin exposure. My Grandpa would comment about how he used to kill deer in a plaid shirt and jeans. There is a certain point where attention to detail turns to obsession.

I have used both intermittently over the past few years and I haven't been able to tell any quantitative difference. I think it may have as much to do with confidence as anything. Ive got a buddy who gets near to KISS style makeup and still kills animals.

I don't like a mask because i'm always paranoid something is going to get into my string. I'll usually just grab a handful of dirt to wipe my face with. Takes the shine off without the greasiness and cleanup of paint.

I also don't like to make eye contact, but instead focus near the animal and use my peripheral vision. If humans can "feel" another person staring at them i'm quite certain animals can too, and probably better.

The masks I use are those tube types, so they fit snug to face. Also have one with permethrin in it - love it for anti bug factor, especially when hunting hogs around the swamps etc.
I’ve tried the beard thing BUT my string pulls hairs out of face on release. Tried a different anchor but it’s what I’m used to.
I’ll definitely be putting a couple in the bag.

Sometimes I wear a ASAT leafy suit and its mask thing that doubles as a mosquito net. Otherwise, beard cammo.

I have worn a screen mask turkey hunting & did use some swipes of face paint in past blacktail or turkey hunting. I also have had almost white hair since I was 18.......it stands out like a light to critters.
My beard is still sort of salt & pepper with big white mustache & head to highlight my predator eyes.
I scare yotes when they look at me...lol. I mean when they walk by @ ten feet & don't know I am there, yet..
So I have always worn a hat & now usually have a neck wrap of some sort to hide my face/eyes, if getting that close to a deer or elk in NM is an issue.

I only do it as three lines under each eye. This also let's other hunters know I'm dead serious.

All joking aside, my only contribution is deer hunting. I've had deer pretty close without figuring out what I was. Granted I was in a treestand. I think scent and movement will be bigger factors before skin exposure. My Grandpa would comment about how he used to kill deer in a plaid shirt and jeans. There is a certain point where attention to detail turns to obsession.
We talked about this last hunting season. I think since deer don't see orange/reds I feel old school plaid shirts work amazing as camo. If you look at it, its basically a break up pattern of camo lol

We talked about this last hunting season. I think since deer don't see orange/reds I feel old school plaid shirts work amazing as camo. If you look at it, its basically a break up pattern of camo lol
Still to this day, he wears his old filson coat on opener. He thinks camo is for humans not deer!

Face mask and always wear one for archery hunting. Have had young elk so close I could touch their nose. Stay in the shadows as mentioned and keep that wind right. If we find a spot where an elk has peed and it's cow pee we collect it in a baggie and use it for cover scent. Rub the dirt on a my hat and pants or shirt. Have had a raghorn come in directly downwind one time with the pee dirt as cover scent.
You can smell the difference between a cow's pee and a bulls, the pee spots on the ground look different too.
A few lines of camo face paint work well too, just break up your eye area outline and the shine from your face.

No doubt plaids work just fine to break up your body outline for hunting. I would wear neutral colors as to help keep you invisible to other hunters as well during archery season.

I like to wear a tube-style Buff covering most of the year for most outdoor activities. Usually i just wear it around my neck. When it is hot or sunny, it keeps the sun off and soaks up some sweat, acting as evaporative cooling. As it cools down later in the year, it provides a touch of warmth and helps block some wind. When it gets really cold i'll start with it around my neck/face with a stocking cap on, and then when I'm actively moving i'll pull the stocking cap off and pull the buff up over my ears, just enough to keep the ears from freezing but a great way to keep from overheating in warm clothes. When actively stalking or sitting in an ambush spot, I will pull it up over my face as a cover. Seems to work well, i have a few different ones now and usually borrow one out to a buddy or my wife depending on the activity.

I figure I have enough tattoos on my arms and legs to break up my outline, so I hunt in a loin cloth with my face painted like William Wallace.
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Actually, it's probably better that it didn't happen...don't really want to see said pics

I do where a face mask most of the time not sure it makes a difference or not but one thing I do think is dont look an animal in the eyes I think they pic you out when you do that maybe its just me but it seems like they lock on you when you look em in the eyes

I wear a face mask when I get in close. A big round white floating face with predator eyes is best hidden from prey species in my opinion.

I wear a hood and face-mask most of the year for sun protection... not sure if it helps my hunting at all.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back