Extra rifle

I always take a spare rifle or muzzleloader and leave one in the jeep. I always have an old blanket to cover everything left behind and been thinking about a trail camera to watch the jeep while I'm away. I pay for the SCI gun and glass insurance as its cheap so I don't worry much about a break in. Of course that doesn't solve the time of replacement or sentimental value of "stuff". So far never needed the backup but I recently got into bow hunting and haven't talked myself into a spare bow yet. We shall see.

On my Chama Elk hunt, I have the .340 Wby as primary, and a TC Venture in 30/06 as backup. If I happen to do a local weekend deer hunt at the camp, no backup, the 30/06 is it.

My first trip to Alaska, my brother an I took one rifle each so we could check the same guncase at the airline. I suppose each if our rifles was spare for the other. This might be the ideal situation.

I would be extremely concerned doing this. If the baggage handlers "accidentally" put the rifle case in their car, both of you would be without rifles. If you packed them separately, one of them stands a better chance making it to the destination-Then you could share if you had to.

I never do, but I'm generally packing in somewhere and that wound mean leaving my spare in the truck at the trailhead. I'm not doing that.

I just own one rifle, but I've never really seen the need to carry an extra.

I never do, but I'm generally packing in somewhere and that wound mean leaving my spare in the truck at the trailhead. I'm not doing that.

If you use soft cases, bend them and if you use hard side cases then leave them open. Gives the impression that there are no firearms in the vehicle.

I always take 2 shotguns when upland hunting, 2 rifles when deer huting - and will take 2 with me for pronghorn this fall. While we do a lot of backpacking as a family, I have not backpack hunted, so I have the hotel room/lodge/cabin to leave the spare during the day.

Never had an issue with leaving the extra in the motel room or at the motel office. Then again with usually having the entire ranch to myself it would be just as easy to take it with me. Tis better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If I'm more than an hour away from home, I take an extra firearm. My time to hunt is limited enough that I'll not take the chance of having it thwarted by not having a backup along.

I live on the edge. I've been on a number of fly-out hunts with only a single rifle between 2 hunters. Planning such a hunt which starts in about 6 days.

I live on the edge. I've been on a number of fly-out hunts with only a single rifle between 2 hunters. Planning such a hunt which starts in about 6 days.

Pack some spoons this time, will ya? :p (or was it the cooking pot??)

Always take a spare along, even when I'm hunting close to home. Would hate to waste the already limited time I get in the field.

I take a spare of equal quality and capability. I bring a spare scope of equal quality and specs as well. I never had to use either in 30 years of hunting. But on the 31st year I will have them with me.
I hunt out of camps so I feel comfortable leaving my spare rifle in my truck. I think if I would be having to leave it a trail head I would be less inclined to bring one.

I always do. Two years ago I slipped and fell, rifle went down hard and ruined the scope. But we were done hunting. It could have just as easily been the first day though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back