Extra rifle

antelopedundee

How many take an extra rifle with them just in case? I usually take at least 2 rifles with me and if I stay anywhere they go in with me. Being a portsider and having older Remington 700s, I also take an extra extractor in my cleaning box. Wouldn't count on a local gunsmith to have one on hand.

I used to take an extra rifle on any out of state hunt. I never needed it. We no longer take a spare and in our case I figure the odds are someone will be successful early enough in the hunt that their rifle could be available if someone had an issue. I never liked leaving the spare in camp and I wasn't going to carry two in the field.
I do have a spare Leupold 3x9 in the trailer.

I take a spare of equal quality and capability. I bring a spare scope of equal quality and specs as well. I never had to use either in 30 years of hunting. But on the 31st year I will have them with me.

I always bring an extra rifle whether I'm hunting out of state or not. Our usual hunting areas are an 8-12 hour drive from home. They are identical Rem. 700's sighted-in exactly the same, one in .270 and my regular rifle in 7mm RM.
I've never needed to use one yet in 35+ years of hunting but I will be prepared if I ever do.

I usually throw in an extra on overnight hunts away from the house. Just something cheap to get the job done. I don’t like leaving expensive rifles in the pickup while I’m gone all day.

Day hunts with a partner usually only take one. Day hunts by myself I bring an extra. Long trips I always bring at least 2. Sometimes 3 if I drag along my grandfathers old .35 Rem 760.

I bring an extra with me because I'm often hunting 8-12 hrs from home and like the insurance. I bought an inexpensive Ruger American in 7MM HT and slapped a VXII on it. It will be my backup gun this year.

I have a spare wirh me. Needed it for the first time last year. Wish i coukd have exact cooy of my main rigle, but cant affird $2k to sit in the truck

Always take 2. Drop your rifle on its scope or have something happen and your done. I bring a primary gun and a back up. Usually my back is a little less power but fully capable of course. I shoot a Nosler 30, or 300WM but bring my 270WSM as a back up. If something happens my 270WSM is more than capable. Secondly of I tag out, I switch to my 270 for lion, coyote, to finish my trip while my buddies hunt.

No. In the Midwest, overnight vehicles left by backpackers and hunters are targets for thieves. Around hunting season I will have my truck pretty cleaned out and I park with the doors unlocked.

My first trip to Alaska, my brother an I took one rifle each so we could check the same guncase at the airline. I suppose each if our rifles was spare for the other. This might be the ideal situation.

The main time I might have wanted a spare was when I did a solo bush fly in this spring. I suppose I could have hid a spare in the bush after I landed as I did have weight to spare with the transporter. It never crossed my mind.

When I go antelope hunting this fall (Lord willing) I have no plans to bring a spare. While my Savage 110/Leupold VX2 combo is far from the most impressive people have on here, it doesn't lack in reliability. I'd be more likely to have my other rifle stolen than this rifle fail. While my other rifle isn't valuable, a rifle of proven accuracy sort of is. If anything happens, I will drive to the nearest sporting goods or Wally world and lay hands on a Savage Axis or Ruger American scoped combo. Problem solved in three hours or less!

I always take 2 shotguns when upland hunting, 2 rifles when deer huting - and will take 2 with me for pronghorn this fall. While we do a lot of backpacking as a family, I have not backpack hunted, so I have the hotel room/lodge/cabin to leave the spare during the day.

I usually take an extra gun and have had to use it twice in 20 years. Once due to dropping a rifle and once due to a mechanical issue.

Nah, but my last two high country sambar hunts (9 hour drive each way) i left ammo at home. I was hunting with my brother so we just shared his rifle.

My new rifle being built is having open sights, so that and scope are my back ups.

Usually no, but I do plan on taking my Dad’s rifle to Wyoming this year and chase antlope. It made the trip in 1977 or 78 when he went with his dad. I have a picture of them two posing with four downed antlope. My Dad had his 700 and my Grandpa holding his Winchester 100. So for sentimental reasons I will be this trip.

My dad always carried a spare rifle (mine), but once when I was in college I didn't have a spare and needed it. Missed a chance at a nice buck on the way home after I took a spill and fell directly on my scope. Since then I've always had a spare, but have yet to need it. I guess it's better to have and not need then the other way around.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back