MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Extra Fuel

The tank on Doug is one thing I would like to find a way to upgrade. I am always in good shape fuel-wise it seems but carry 5 gal just in case. Better to have and not NEED :)

I have one Jerry can mounted in my truck and will probably add a second one soon. I only have the 26 gallon tank on my Toyota.

I drive cross country to get there and bring at least 2 x 5g cans and a pre-mix gallon for the chainsaw. Never needed the emergency supply on the highway yet but have come close a couple times late at night in Nebraska.... In the mountains I fill up at any good chance and use the cans if needed to keep me well above a 1/4 tank. Below that, better be headed to town as only 75 miles or so in the tank gets ya nervous.

Quick question. Anyone have a non electric transfer pump they like?

I have a combo tool box/fuel tank that holds 60 gallons. It is sold as a gravity flow but I added a small electric pump with a toggle switch to control it from inside the truck. It usually takes about an hour to go from about an 1/8th of a tank on the factory tank to 7/8 full while driving at freeway ++ speeds. I always fill up both tanks with diesel prior to going to camp, which gives me a range of about 1200 - 1300 miles. Now I also takes a 5 gallon can of gas with me if I have the ATV or a small generator with me.

Looking at getting the toolbox/tank combo for my Super Duty. Nice to buy a lot of fuel when you find it cheap.
The camper has a 40 gallon gas tank for the generator and quads.
Like having plenty of fuel rather than walking to find it.

Some places are pretty far out so I take 10 gallons. Haz mat cans are way better than any gas can. And when it’s -13 and you get stuck a few times or are busting drifts, you use a lot of xtra gas.

My truck just stays hooked up to the pump at the gas station, so my range is fairly limited. And my tank is about the size of a shot glass. When I tow a trailer I drove from gas station to gas station.

I havent ran out but have came close going to look online for one of those fuel tank tool box combos

When not towing my F150 does 19-20 mpg. Throw any trailer back there and it’s less than 10. I carry whatever seems appropriate. For trailhead hunting that’s usually nothing. Hunting turkeys or road hunting elk, need more.

I picked up a couple who were Northern Nevada Locals while hunting antelope. They had broken down out in the desert and I gave them a ride back to one of their vehicles. They had in the back of their truck:
Was it Big Fin?? 😅
2 spare tires, 2-5 gallon cans of fuel and 2-5 gallon cans of water.

(The alternator on one rig was the issue.)

When towing cross country, I keep a 5 gal. jug of diesel in the trailer.

5 gallons of diesel never leaves my truck. Also, If the needle moved from full I fill up at the end of every day. The LAST time I ran out of gas was when I was 15 and ran it out of my 4 wheeler 5 miles from my house. Something must have clicked...lol

Depends on distance from town/gas pump. When I go on a week long hunt, I take 20 gallons (4 - 5 gallon cans). This way I don't have to go to town to refill my truck. I also take my ATV and run around on this, because it goes over the graveled roads or two-tracks a lot quicker, quieter, and easier than my old stiff truck (weather permitting). If it's a day hunt … no … maybe throw in a 5 - gallon can.

No room in my pack ha ha! But I'm not a lope hunter, I am lucky enough to have my health, and I live less than an hour from most of my spots. Driving around howling for wolves, I may throw a can in the bed thanks to this post.

You hunt lopes by parking in one spot and walking everywhere else?
I have, but antelope didn't come to mind when you said go hunting. The places I've been for 'lope there are periodic gas stations not too far out of the way.

I have, but antelope didn't come to mind when you said go hunting. The places I've been for 'lope there are periodic gas stations not too far out of the way.

Yeah, one of my areas this year only has one gas station at the extreme northern border of the area.

One thing I always keep in mind is some of these small town gas stations are not open on Sundays and holidays. I learned my lesson running out and had to offer a landowner five bucks a gallon to let me have 10 gallons of gas so I can finish my hunt. That is why in my previous post, I now have six 5 gallon containers and I fill up at last major town before I enter my camping area. Some of these small town gas stations are also open only during the daylight hours.

The tank on Doug is one thing I would like to find a way to upgrade. I am always in good shape fuel-wise it seems but carry 5 gal just in case. Better to have and not NEED :)

Mine has been in my truck for 13 years. No issues and doubled my range. It is a bit expensive, but worth the peace of mind when towing.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back