Extra Fuel

I am getting a different newer used pickup after hunting season. Going to have second tank installed or possibly one of those tanks with a pump I can fuel ATVs and that with.

Mine has been in my truck for 13 years. No issues and doubled my range. It is a bit expensive, but worth the peace of mind when towing.
Doug is a 1992 (Gen 1 Dodge), looks like they only go back to 1994 (first year of the "new" Ram) and ......those tanks are almost as much as I paid for him :) Thanks for the heads up anyway (y)

I hunt in an area that covers 1500 square miles and I sometimes to into the adjacent area which is the same size. I drive from point A to point B for places I have scouted either in person or through e-scouting. That takes a bunch of gas to do. I do not just focus on one parcel of land. I hit different ones until I find sign that they may be in the area then I go from there. At each point I get out and walk a mile or two and find my glassing point and look for elk. I might hunt any spot within 50 miles of our base camp and the others that camp with us might go check other areas until one of us finds something then if we are close enough, we might buddy up and do a group hunt.

Last edited:
I always carry a five gallon can, but since my truck just sits once it's parked at the trailhead or camp, it's only ever been put into my truck once it's sitting back in the driveway.

Driving a v10 with a 26 gallon fuel tank, making it past 200 miles between fill up is a challenge and if towing forget about it. I put a 45 gallon tank that is 9.5" wide in the bed to help extend my range.

Back