Yeti GOBOX Collection

Exporting ammo from Canada

mxracer317

I’ll just preface this post with the fact that I’m in dual citizen of the USA and Canada, living full-time in the USA.

This ammo shortage is ridiculous. I have a decent amount in reserve, but want to get out and start shooting now the weather is warming up.

This question might be a longshot, but does anyone know the process of being able to export ammo legally purchased in Canada to the United States for personal use? Hopefully going up there in July, and would like to buy up some ammo to bring back with me.

I bought a couple 50 packs of .22 rimfire a couple years ago in Quebec. When returning home to the US, I declared the ammo to Customs . I knew the Agent. He could not let me in with the ammo purchased in Canada. I turned around, drove back up the road a few miles and gave it to a friend. On the other hand, I have never had a problem returning with unused ammo I have taken to Canada on hunting trips.

If you have your pals in Canada, that allows you to buy it in Canada I believe. You need to start well ahead of time to get approved to bring ammo down. I believe you need to let the u.s side know ahead of time what types of ammo you’ll be getting. It’s nit just a free for all on buying it. You’ll then have a form for the ammo you’re importing. Haha think it’s ATF form 6 but could be off on that. Now you would have to deal with the 2 week quarantine too up there.

Its not really worth all the hassle, plus its capped at a small mount. Though we do have a good level of stock up here

I’ll just preface this post with the fact that I’m in dual citizen of the USA and Canada, living full-time in the USA.

This ammo shortage is ridiculous. I have a decent amount in reserve, but want to get out and start shooting now the weather is warming up.

This question might be a longshot, but does anyone know the process of being able to export ammo legally purchased in Canada to the United States for personal use? Hopefully going up there in July, and would like to buy up some ammo to bring back with me.
7. An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting type ammunition (excluding tracer or incendiary) and firearm parts (other than frames, receivers, or actions) without engaging the services of a Federal firearms licensee, provided that the importation is for his personal use and not for resale.

Attachments

• f_5330._3a_6_part_1_application_and_permit_for_importation_of_firearms_ammunition_and_defense_...pdf
    381 KB · Views: 8
So you're allow to export up to 5000 rounds before you need a export permit but stores can only sell up to a certain amount at one time. You would need to hit up a bunch of shops first but you then would set off a lot of red flags with the police.

Call ATF

Firearms & Explosives Imports Branch​

Voice: (304) 616-4550

Internet's great though always call the main source.

So long as you have an approved ATF form 6 I, as a U S Resident, you declare with the approved form and passport, not one round beyond permit approved qty all matching approved specific rounds, you *should be good to go. There is no definite.
*CBP makes the final determination when you arrive back to the U.S.
Make sure you declare all. If an inspection takes place, that's their prerogative and likely to occur.
No floating round in the center console, etc. A single round over or not matching rounds authorized may lead to seizure of all, fines, and (or) possible criminal penalties.

F250 was fortunate. Illegal importation of firearms, firearm parts, and (or) ammunition may follow you the rest of your life.

Last edited:
I am US citizen and Canadian resident. I return to Montana every fall to hunt and bring ammo and guns no problem. No one has bothered me about either when crossing even during routine inspections (sometimes it's just my turn to be checked ... it's the way it works and I'm okay with that ... anything to help in the war on drugs and gun smuggling). I believe you are limited to 5000 rounds. The guys at the trap club have run into that during shoots across the border. I know that I do not require Form 6 to bring my guns across. Never been bothered for it but out of curiosity had the border folks on US side check when crossing two years ago. Even the supervisor wasn't entirely sure. She called the Seattle office. Nope, not needed. I always carry proof of ownership (bill of sale or old Long Gun Registry card) so they know origins of guns. That's a potential duty issue when returning. There is a form I can fill out on Canadian side when leaving the country but ownership documents have always sufficed. Anyway if Form 6 is not required for me to move guns back and forth, I'm not sure why you would need it.

Now there is the issue of whether non Canadians can legally purchase the ammo here. As I understand it that varies from province to province. Without a Canadian Possession and Aquisition License (PAL) you cannot purchase ammo in Ontario. But I have been told PAL is not required to buy ammo in Manitoba. Okay, so a PAL is required to PURCHASE ammo in Ontario but does that mean it's required to merely possess ammo? Unlikely because then American hunters coming up here would be limited to slingshots and bow hunting. So there seems to be some grey area re aliens picking up ammo without a PAL.

Wait ... now that I think about it Americans coming up to hunt need to obtain a temporary PAL at the border. That must allow them to buy ammo. So if coming up to shoot gophers or for a documented range shoot, Americans can get the paperwork needed to buy and possess ammo. Canadians run into the same sort of issue crossing the border with their guns. The guys at the trap club simply bought a five dollar Minnesota nonresident small game license (but because not US citizen, they have to also complete ATF Form 6).

Incidentally, I do know the US does restrict ammo transported INTO Canada and yes from time to time they do stop vehicles leaving the country on US side and check them. The trap club crew ran into this a few years ago.

So the long answer is moving ammo across the border is almost as complicated as moving guns. A bit less so for those of us who are dual citizens ... but we are not entirely immune.

@mstevens317 - Again, call ATF. The law is clear.

There tends to be confusion between the "temporary importation" for hunting/sport shooting events that are documented to the extent to satisfy the border Federal Officer's evaluation, and the permanent importation of firearms and ammunition from a foreign country by a U.S. Citizen. Also the quantity, if permitted, of ammunition a person may bring for such an event must satisfy the Officer that it is for the specific event.

There are two ATF forms that define the person's requested intent. ATF Form 6 for the U.S. Citizen, regardless where the USC resides, permanent importation and ATF Form 6NIA. Two completely separate ATF forms. The ATF Form 6NIA is specific to "Nonimmigrant Alien" for their intended temporary hunt(s) and (or) shooting event(s).

Internet talk is a good general pool of information however, if you want the facts - call the source. Ultimately, you're responsible for your actions no matter your intent to wave a print of @OntarioHunter 's post in the Federal Officer's face.

I am US citizen and Canadian resident. I return to Montana every fall to hunt and bring ammo and guns no problem. No one has bothered me about either when crossing even during routine inspections (sometimes it's just my turn to be checked ... it's the way it works and I'm okay with that ... anything to help in the war on drugs and gun smuggling). I believe you are limited to 5000 rounds. The guys at the trap club have run into that during shoots across the border. I know that I do not require Form 6 to bring my guns across. Never been bothered for it but out of curiosity had the border folks on US side check when crossing two years ago. Even the supervisor wasn't entirely sure. She called the Seattle office. Nope, not needed. I always carry proof of ownership (bill of sale or old Long Gun Registry card) so they know origins of guns. That's a potential duty issue when returning. There is a form I can fill out on Canadian side when leaving the country but ownership documents have always sufficed. Anyway if Form 6 is not required for me to move guns back and forth, I'm not sure why you would need it.

Now there is the issue of whether non Canadians can legally purchase the ammo here. As I understand it that varies from province to province. Without a Canadian Possession and Aquisition License (PAL) you cannot purchase ammo in Ontario. But I have been told PAL is not required to buy ammo in Manitoba. Okay, so a PAL is required to PURCHASE ammo in Ontario but does that mean it's required to merely possess ammo? Unlikely because then American hunters coming up here would be limited to slingshots and bow hunting. So there seems to be some grey area re aliens picking up ammo without a PAL.

Wait ... now that I think about it Americans coming up to hunt need to obtain a temporary PAL at the border. That must allow them to buy ammo. So if coming up to shoot gophers or for a documented range shoot, Americans can get the paperwork needed to buy and possess ammo. Canadians run into the same sort of issue crossing the border with their guns. The guys at the trap club simply bought a five dollar Minnesota nonresident small game license (but because not US citizen, they have to also complete ATF Form 6).

Incidentally, I do know the US does restrict ammo transported INTO Canada and yes from time to time they do stop vehicles leaving the country on US side and check them. The trap club crew ran into this a few years ago.

So the long answer is moving ammo across the border is almost as complicated as moving guns. A bit less so for those of us who are dual citizens ... but we are not entirely immune.
The process is different for you bringing ammo down to hunt as a resident of Canada than it is for an American to go up and buy Canadian ammo and import it. Trust me. It is doable but it is definitely a process. Also, a Canadian can come down to the u.s. and legally buy ammo, but they can’t legally export it out of the u.s. without going through the proper channels, another process. There is a reason that not many people go through the effort. It’s a complicated process.

Last edited:

I would just like to be able to ship primers from Canada. They have them we don’t.

On the other hand, I have never had a problem returning with unused ammo I have taken to Canada on hunting trips.
This is probably highly illegal but could one take a bunch of empty ammo boxes with you on the trip up, fill them with ammo purchased in Canada and return to the US of A with them?

No. It's against U.S. law unless you jump through the legal ATF hoops noted above.
Temporary import/export of firearms for hunt/sport shoots are completely separate from permanent import.

I am obviously in a unique position as a US citizen legally residing in Canada. I have never been required to obtain a Form 6 of any sort to bring guns and ammo back and forth and US border people at Rainy River went to great lengths in the middle of the night to ascertain that I didnt need it.

A suggestion: Obtain an invite to shoot in Canada at a gun club. I cannot imagine that one wouldn't write you a letter if you ask. Then obtain a Form 6 to essentially convince the border folks when you return to US that you didn't purchase the gun you'll take with you in Canada (confirms it being an American gun for customs purposes). Obtain the temporary PAL at the Canadian border to get the gun across. Buy the ammo you want and take it back but don't go overboard. Maybe two hundred rounds. I usually have six to ten boxes of shotgun ammo and two boxes of rifle ammo when I cross and of course guns to match. Never been a problem. If you want to be certain of no problems coming back, go ahead and do up a Form 6-whatever for ammo you intend to bring back. But I don't think it would be necessary. No one expects you to shoot up all your ammo while in Canada. A box or two of empty cases might be convincing on your return that you actually did some shooting in Canada. As far as I know you don't need to declare them when bringing into Canada. I buy empty cases here without having to produce a Possession License. They are not ammo.

Edited... it's the internet. If people choose to do what someone on the internet suggests... they are their own fool.
People steal $ from work and don't expect to get caught. Get away with it a few occasions, maybe never get caught, or gain a record on the first attempt.
Later, one reflects back on having a record and says... all that for a lousy $20. Or w/in Ontariohunter's suggestion, all that for a lousy 200 rounds.

@OntarioHunter , the reason YOU are not required to obtain an ATF form 6 is because you live abroad. Your entry into the U.S. is for temporary purpose. ;) as clearly mentioned. "Permanent / temporary".

Leaving the firearm or unused ammo in the U.S. and you are required to complete the ATF form 6.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back