Excuses

Pucky Freak

This morning's successful hunt got me thinking about years when I didn't even buy a spring turkey tag, and the excuses that followed. In hindsight, these were lame excuses. If you are reading this and are on the fence about turkey hunting this year (or next), maybe take some time to consider your own excuses. Here were mine:

1. Not enough time. I still took time to do other nonessential things those years, or I made myself busy but didn't need to.

2. Don't have the gear. Gear that made today's hunt successful: any legal shotgun, any legal round, diaphragm call, 4x4 pickup. If I didn't have 4WD I still could have walked the last section of road to the hunt area. I had other gear with me, but I didn't need it to take this tom. I could also just as easily have borrowed gear from friends until I was able to invest in my own stuff, or just go with the bare essentials. I have crap camo - as you can see, my daughter's Mickey Mouse shirt provides better break-up than my bleached out hat.

3. Can't call (well). Years ago I bought a cheap ceramic friction call and tried to sound like a turkey. I finally threw that POS away and bought 4 different kinds of calls and experimented with each one. I could produce the best sound with a beginner's diaphragm call. I watched youtube instructional videos, then practiced while driving to/from work. I still don't think I sound quite like a hot hen, but that didn't stop this lonely tom from making a beeline towards those soft sexy clucks.

4. Other obligations. I had kid duty this morning. I called my mother-in-law, and said, "I'd really like to hunt turkey opener. Would you spend the night and watch ____ so I can go hunt?" She was glad to. I used to think I was selfish to ask for something like that. What it really boiled down to was I didn't feel like my pleasure was worth someone else's sacrifice. What a load of garbage. I help my mother-in-law out now and then, and there's nothing wrong with asking her for a favor.

5. Don't have the $. Tag is less than $30. Can't scrape together $30? Really?

6. No good place to hunt. Ha! I predicted I would see about six other hunters at my access point on opening morning; it could have accommodated 12. No one was there but me. I heard zero other gunshots. No one even hunted this place youth season. How is this even possible?! I am not complaining - it made the hunt all that more enjoyable to have had the whole place to myself.

IMG_0662.JPG

IA public land gobbler

I have yet to get a turkey, or have a turkey adventure, for that matter, while sitting on my couch. Fact

Congratulations on your great day in the woods.

There are those who get out and get things done, and those who just talk about it. I try hard to "do" more than I talk. Congrats on your bird!

Elkfever2

Congratulations on the harvest, good looking bird.

Thank god my husband was always of the mind set --"nothing ventured, nothing gained" but let me share with you some of the reasons others would not hunt, if, I was also hunting. sadly, these things were heard more in the U.S. than in Europe, Africa, etc. We would rather you ( husband ) not go if you bring your wife---"we ( men) will not be able to go to the bathroom whereever or whenever we want to"--"what if she has to go to the bathroom ?, do we have to build her a toilet in the woods?", "she will slow us down when we are going up a mountain", "what if she start's her period?'--"she will get tired and we will have to carry her rifle for her", " we wont be able to cuss, tell dirty jokes, drink alcohol, smoke cigars, etc etc etc etc etc", and the one we heard the most was "if she shoots an animal, we will have to dress it out of her ( which was not true, I took care of what I shot)--but regardless it was never ending. God bless him-- if I didn't go, he didn't go, plus we took our daughter ( and son ) and now my daughter my granddaughter and I are hunting plains game together ( well I am tagging along, as I dont hunt anymore ).

There were a hundred "excuses" why I should not go and it would have made my husband's life easier at times, if he had left me at home--but he didn't and I dont think he ever regretted it -I know I didn't.

thanks for the thread, as it only strengthen's my resolve to keep my granddaughter, in the field--regardless of the "excuses" that might arise

Great job on the bird. And don't feel bad about your calling. I have heard actual live hens who couldn't call worth shit. Making perfect calls might win you a trophy, but making turkey noises will bring in the birds.

This morning's successful hunt got me thinking about years when I didn't even buy a spring turkey tag, and the excuses that followed. In hindsight, these were lame excuses. If you are reading this and are on the fence about turkey hunting this year (or next), maybe take some time to consider your own excuses. Here were mine:

1. Not enough time. I still took time to do other nonessential things those years, or I made myself busy but didn't need to.

2. Don't have the gear. Gear that made today's hunt successful: any legal shotgun, any legal round, diaphragm call, 4x4 pickup. If I didn't have 4WD I still could have walked the last section of road to the hunt area. I had other gear with me, but I didn't need it to take this tom. I could also just as easily have borrowed gear from friends until I was able to invest in my own stuff, or just go with the bare essentials. I have crap camo - as you can see, my daughter's Mickey Mouse shirt provides better break-up than my bleached out hat.

3. Can't call (well). Years ago I bought a cheap ceramic friction call and tried to sound like a turkey. I finally threw that POS away and bought 4 different kinds of calls and experimented with each one. I could produce the best sound with a beginner's diaphragm call. I watched youtube instructional videos, then practiced while driving to/from work. I still don't think I sound quite like a hot hen, but that didn't stop this lonely tom from making a beeline towards those soft sexy clucks.

4. Other obligations. I had kid duty this morning. I called my mother-in-law, and said, "I'd really like to hunt turkey opener. Would you spend the night and watch ____ so I can go hunt?" She was glad to. I used to think I was selfish to ask for something like that. What it really boiled down to was I didn't feel like my pleasure was worth someone else's sacrifice. What a load of garbage. I help my mother-in-law out now and then, and there's nothing wrong with asking her for a favor.

5. Don't have the $. Tag is less than $30. Can't scrape together $30? Really?

6. No good place to hunt. Ha! I predicted I would see about six other hunters at my access point on opening morning; it could have accommodated 12. No one was there but me. I heard zero other gunshots. No one even hunted this place youth season. How is this even possible?! I am not complaining - it made the hunt all that more enjoyable to have had the whole place to myself.

View attachment 103987

IA public land gobbler

Well that must have been the last bird in Iowa. I heard a dozen on Saturday morning, but the last two days have been a bust. I thought they all emigrated to Canada.

Well that must have been the last bird in Iowa. I heard a dozen on Saturday morning, but the last two days have been a bust. I thought they all emigrated to Canada.
I saw several toms when scouting Plan A spot Saturday. Come Monday morning there was not a bird to be found. Gave up after a few hours and headed to location B and got lucky.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back