Caribou Gear Tarp

Examples of nice elk mount with 8ft ceiling limitations

2CDD5A64-C0B0-4D0C-95CD-6DBBB893B420.jpegThat pedestal mount is basically the size of a dining room table. It’s 6’ wide x 6’ long x 7.5’ tall. We moved a couple years ago and it’s arguably too big for my current house. The next bull I killed was about the same size so I skull mounted that one; certainly no room for 2 pedestal mounts that large! I really like the pedestal mount but I don’t see myself doing anything other than skull mounts for elk now that I have one nice pedestal.

Do a normal mount and put it in your favorite restaurant or gun shop for all to enjoy.

My monster bull was headed to the lake house until the girls sold the lake house. Now it hangs in a storage room. No room for him inside.

Mine lives at my mom's house.

but as far as options...

post-63-0-29333300-1305147328.jpg

$_1.JPG
I looked at the bottom one drinking and had to laugh at a thought that popped into my head. My dogs would absolutely come unhinged if I put that in my house.. 🤣

Do a euro, but have the cape tanned, so you can convert it later if you so choose.
+1 on this. I did this with my AZ bull as I plan to move in a couple years. If you don't plan to be in that house forever than this is the perfect option. You don't want to have it mounted in a way that wouldn't work well if you move to a house with taller ceilings.

Very helpful! Trying to figure out how to make mine work in my basement. 8' ceiling for me too. Pedestal for sure, but there are some great options being displayed.

I hung mine as a euro for a while, until I finished tanning the cape and was ready to mount it. We were still bumping into the fronts, and they had no cap "gouge yer eye out" potential if you didn't mind what you were doing near it.

Same bull as pictured in my office above, as a euro in my house with 8' ceiling.

20200302_191826 resize.jpg

Not arguing against a euro so much as pointing out that your space concerns don't magically go away with a euro in spaces with 8' ceilings.

Having seen a shoulder mounted elk in a house with 8’ ceilings, I can say that it looked terrible. It looked worse than these pictures convey. I’m sooooo glad I saw it before I shot an elk.

Euro it. You can always have the cape tanned if you think you might want to shoulder mount it later.

Having seen a shoulder mounted elk in a house with 8’ ceilings, I can say that it looked terrible. It looked worse than these pictures convey. I’m sooooo glad I saw it before I shot an elk.

Euro it. You can always have the cape tanned if you think you might want to shoulder mount it later.
Definitely not going to shoulder mount him inside the house. If I shoulder mount, he is going in the garage with 11 ft ceilings.

Inside would really only be considering a pedestal at this point.

My taxidermist “converted” a pedestal mount form to a wall mount. Also cut the head and turned it more so it cleared everywhere. Now it’s in the corner out of the way

Attachments

• 780BCB10-061B-46A8-B865-E62679251694.jpeg
    780BCB10-061B-46A8-B865-E62679251694.jpeg
    643 KB · Views: 53
Eyjonas, I think we’re neighbors. Those stairs and basement look an awful lot like mine. Thats a nice, symmetrical bull.

My taxidermist “converted” a pedestal mount form to a wall mount. Also cut the head and turned it more so it cleared everywhere. Now it’s in the corner out of the way
That looks really good. I am leaning towards a pedestal, he will be worth it and my basement has quite a bit of room.

8' ceilings, not much of a fan of pedestals, scared to hang it in the stairwell, and a year of wondering what to do with it, this is what I came up with. Live edge locust slab, toggle bolt, plus an eye bolt for a cable/furniture tether.

20220307_173049.jpg

Going floor pedestal. Something looks these, might grab a Whiskey barrel as the main base.

Attachments

• BF0EF17C-4115-4432-995A-57ECAC8920C0.jpeg
    BF0EF17C-4115-4432-995A-57ECAC8920C0.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 81D1D8A3-6C36-40EA-A916-258D5EB852A2.png
    81D1D8A3-6C36-40EA-A916-258D5EB852A2.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 9AB3A977-7B43-4662-9A5A-CDDDD003A4D1.jpeg
    9AB3A977-7B43-4662-9A5A-CDDDD003A4D1.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
Hey all,

Does anyone have any particular forms or mounts that work well with standard 8ft ceilings? Trying to figure out where to put my bull I got in ND this year. He has 50" beams so kinda wondering how screwed I am.
Cap mount for now. Save the tanned cape in a sealed plastic bag for some future day when you live in a bigger house. These are two I have mounted in my old house with nine foot ceilings. Put a small bookcase or bureau underneath so people aren't walking into them. These are screwed to the wall. There's a story to that. Formerly they hung on big spike nails. One Christmas about forty years ago, my ex and I were at my parents where the big racks hung on opposite 8' walls in my old bedroom. We were about to sit down to dinner when I noticed our two year-old (or three?) was missing. Found her in the bedroom doing pull-ups with the big rack's brow tines! If it had come off the wall, it would have killed her. I drilled holes through plaques low almost on the top of skull plate then pulled the velvet up to cover the screws when mounted to the wall.

With my nine foot ceiling these racks are each four feet off the floor with tips touching the ceiling (one has been lowered a bit to make room for the muley wall pedestal mount). Royal points on the larger one extend three feet into the room and the other one twenty-seven inches.

If you still have the skull a euro mount is nice. Takes up a little more space although a good taxidermist who can think outside the box should be able to fix up a hanger that minimizes extension into the room.

Edit: Late to the show. I see he has made his decision. Good luck. I also have a finished basement but hate to put stuff out of the way. These did not go on the wall in my house until after my wife died and I was an empty nester.
20220308_095605.jpg
Edit: The two whitetail euro mounts are awaiting pickup by clients. Note the tags hanging on them with names.

Attachments

• 20211007_165139.jpg
    20211007_165139.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Glad you're doing a pedestal, I think it will turn out fine, best of all you don't have to keep it in your garage... bad for mounts
Some context, plenty of room and it’s off in its own corner. I’ll be removing that bar, was just a cheap hand me down I don’t have attachment to.

Attachments

• E87F9A7E-AF3E-43D4-8886-D476162F4925.jpeg
    E87F9A7E-AF3E-43D4-8886-D476162F4925.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back