Ever gutted with a rock?

I gutted a big Mulie buck with a steak knife once, but have never used a rock.

I once got a call from a buddy at 7 in the morning he had just shot his first deer ever and he didn't know what to do. So I drove out to were he was and came to find out he didn't have a knive so I checked my pickup and I had a 9" fillet knive is all and ended up getting the job done. Was a little tricky though.

LOL. I gutted a trout once with a rock. Took a little bit of the meat off of it. I was down in Chevelon Canyon and had caught a real lunker brown. My buddy took a picture of me with it and I turned him loose. That picture is all I have left of that particular Leatherman and trout. Later that day I caught a decent brown, but it took the spinner hook in the gills and I had to keep it. My buddy only had hemostats, so I used a rock. If any of you have hiked out of Chevelon Canyon you'd know why I didn't want to carry the extra few ounces of fish guts back up the side. Can't imagine gutting an animal and a big game animal at that with a rock.

I dont' know about you guys, but I plan on killing somehting everytime I go out... consequently I need a gun/bow and a knife. :) I've forgoten all sorts of things including my gun one time... but NEVER a knife. :D

Ran into a guy sheep hunting this year that was packing out his final load. I noticed that he still had the legs attached below the knee. I couldn't figure out why you would pack all that extra weight. He informed me that he had broke his knife and that he couldn't finish the job. He was an animal, having made 2 trips in 1 day to pack out his sheep including those long legs attached. I think he'd been hiking for around 8-10 hours by the time we met him.

Makes you want to take an extra just in case.

I know it only took having to use a broadhead one to remind me to never forget a knife again. plus no knife would make for a tough time on notching a tag.

I've always got two or three knives on me, and if I'm really lucky, one might be sharp.

I've always got two or three knives on me, and if I'm really lucky, one might be sharp.

Same here. I always start each year with three sharp knieves, but usually by the end of the season I might as well not have any knives. I should prolly pack the sharpener as well.

I hunted Wyoming one year with a friend that made a knife by flinting when we were sitting in camp he still uses it to gut deer in Northern California. It ended up pretty sharp and has stayed sharp.

Since I was 10 years old, I've had a sharp pocket knife on me when ever I'm wearing pants.
Only exceptions are airline travel and court appearances.

I dont' know about you guys, but I plan on killing somehting everytime I go out... consequently I need a gun/bow and a knife. :) I've forgoten all sorts of things including my gun one time... but NEVER a knife. :D

I thought I was the only one ever to forget my gun when leaving to go hunting.... Or coming off the mountain :eek:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back