Ever get robbed on a hunt or traveling to and from a hunt

I've been lucky so far. But a friend of mine had all 4 tires slashed on his truck while elk hunting in NM...after he shot a monster bull. They didn't steal anything.

Back when I was young and poor I packed all my camping gear into the canopy on my pickup one night so I could get an early start hunting in the morning. Someone broke out the side window and took everything they could drag through the window. fortunately I kept my hunting gear in the house. They didn't get anything of much value because I didn't own anything of much value but it was my stuff and I was hard pressed to find the money to replace it.
I know a couple of guys that shot two deer at the same time. They drug one down and put it in the truck then went back for the other one. When they got back with the second one the first was gone. People suck!

Agreed, but then my own personal ethics say the rack comes out last and it's a bit of karma for caring more about antlers then meat.
1.The rack had beams that were 53 inches long it didn't fit in the truck, so it had to come in the room.. 2. No way could we unload the cooler of meat to heavy up that high on the front atv rack, hell it would have been effort just to undo the strapping. Im not sure how we could have got the cooler in into the room , totally absurd to try to carry that heavy a cooler that far and the truck was all ice as thats why we pulled in for the night. I think if the criminals would have tried to get the cooler it would have been impossible with out making to much noise & the efforts to much like work & they would have also needed a truck to load it up. They were not stealing the meat. No way.

1.The rack had beams that were 53 inches long it didn't fit in the truck, so it had to come in the room.. 2. No way could we unload the cooler of meat to heavy up that high on the front atv rack, hell it would have been effort just to undo the strapping. Im not sure how we could have got the cooler in into the room , totally absurd to try to carry that heavy a cooler that far and the truck was all ice as thats why we pulled in for the night. I think if the criminals would have tried to get the cooler it would have been impossible with out making to much noise & the efforts to much like work & they would have also needed a truck to load it up. They were not stealing the meat. No way.

I was referring to this article. Essentially the last part of the elk that should come out of the field is the head. Should you steal someones elk, god no, but at the same time he packed the head out before the meat. This is actually illegal in a number of places.

Security is something I'm cognizant of since logistics to the mountains often predicate a stop n sleep. Secure the weapons and optics in the room, stay at a well lit reputable overnight staffed joint if possible. I do have a roll/lock bed cover but that just insures expensive vandalism for a desperate meth head. The drive back to the barn is usually a Le Mans.

On this year's elk hunt, I had parked my truck on the side of a logging road and went up on a hill to glass a thinned area. I wasn't that far from the road, but pretty well concealed. I heard another truck drive up and I turned around to watch the truck roll through. It stopped and the driver hopped out to look in my windows. If he decided to test my door handle or the tensile strength of safety glass, then I would decide to test what a .30 cal 180 grn Federal Trophy Copper would do to the valve cover on his truck. He made a good choice and got back into his rig and kept going.

In October, a couple friends (one is a fishing outfitter) had their trucks broken into at the hotel in Helena. They lost several high end rods/reels as well as roughly 5,000 flies and other miscellaneous gear. They figured all total over $15K in gear. Thieves flat out suck! Makes a guy want to pull in there and hide out waiting for them to come back.

I'm guessing with the ATV in the bed of the truck and the coolers in the bed of the truck even a high meth head figured the risk was worth it. "Hey man they had to be on a hunting trip."

No gear while hunting...so far. Did get a rack stolen out of the truck bed @ a trailhead,while I was in the head,finally.....they left my rifle & pack & meat,just took the rack.
Have had a extra rod, 2PFD's & a shovel stolen out of the pu bed while fishing years back.
Had my truck broken into twice in Alb. at motels,briefcase, PC,& tools once & cheap dash binos & my elk calls....that pissed me off. Once in LA, just tools. Assholes cut my tool boxes off right in front of my uncles house.

When I was younger, my grandpa, dad, and I were hunting around Truman Lake. We used a boat to access an island that was created due high water. We returned to the boat ramp after dark and left. We were about 20 miles to the nearest town when my grandpa looked down at the gas gauge and saw it was on empty. Needless to say we didn’t make it thanks to some stealing our gas.

i had a pair of full gas cans snagged before years ago///this year after hearing about fins hitch ordeal in new mexico 2b,,i was very careful when i was there,,hitch locks on tlr and safety chains,,padlock and cable on atv and e-bike when i wasnt at camp,,watched my truck hitch like a hawk,,,,came out ok this trip,,even 2 stays at different walmart parking lots on the way,,though i slept very lightly in my trailer and stayed relativly ready to jump up and fly out the tlr door,,glock 21 in hand.

On this year's elk hunt, I had parked my truck on the side of a logging road and went up on a hill to glass a thinned area. I wasn't that far from the road, but pretty well concealed. I heard another truck drive up and I turned around to watch the truck roll through. It stopped and the driver hopped out to look in my windows. If he decided to test my door handle or the tensile strength of safety glass, then I would decide to test what a .30 cal 180 grn Federal Trophy Copper would do to the valve cover on his truck. He made a good choice and got back into his rig and kept going.

I’ve done this in the past to see if there’s already a hunter back in an area I’m interested in hunting. Peak inside a rig to see if there’s an empty gun case, etc. I always wondered if I was being watched, and what they might assume I was up to.

When I was in high school some buddies and I loaded up into two trucks and drove out to a fairly remote area in the Central Valley to check out a spot we'd heard there were chukar. My buddy Jesse's truck broke down (as usual) but we figured we'd fix it later and go hunting before it got hot, so we left it along the valley road and drove about 1/3 of a mile up a nearby spur road to find some birds. We actually shot a few, and when we got back to my truck we could see a dark green pickup parked next to Jesse's truck and a guy poking around in the bed and cab. We thought it was someone stealing stuff, so naturally we fired a couple shots in the air in his general direction with the shotguns. The dude jumped right in his truck and came racing up the hill straight at us, and then came flying out of his truck with a gun drawn! It was the game warden, and he thought we'd shot at him, and he was PISSED! After he disarmed us and lined us up against the tailgate, we explained that we thought he was some tweaker ripping off stuff that wasn't his. He actually laughed and said even if he was, there wasn't anything in that crummy Ranger worth stealing, including the truck :ROFLMAO:

I’ve worked night delivery jobs in both Detroit and E St Louis. I’ll take Detroit thank you very much.

I worry about this very thing every trip west. It’s quite sobering to do the math on what we haul into the bush. I do my best to have a sterile truck sitting in the parking lot. Cleaned out cab maybe a coffee cup, and light jacket or hat, tonneau cover over any gear in back. If I can’t park in front I’ll get near a bunch of traveling laborers who have a much more inviting display in their truck beds.

This fall I had all my food, clothing and sleeping bag stolen from my campsite. I was out hunting and they stole my Sitka gear, 2 coolers of food and my sleeping bag from my tent.

This fall I had all my food, clothing and sleeping bag stolen from my campsite. I was out hunting and they stole my Sitka gear, 2 coolers of food and my sleeping bag from my tent.
Oh Man that suc>>.

East St. Louis is famous for being an arm pit. It was made famous in the Chevy Chase vacation movie. The first 10 minutes of the nightly local news is the run down of the daily murders in East St. Louis and North St. Louis. Cops no longer respond to car breakins anymore as the average about 600 per day in the city. It's so bad that the FBI is getting involved. For those traveling thru you need to stay 20 miles outside of the Lou to be safe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back