eScouting on Facebook? It works

sacountry

A friend climbed a mountain in my goat district and took some pics of the goats which were then posted on Facebook. This friend didn't do this for me, just complete coincidence. Here's one of the shedding billies from the top of the mountain. Bigfin, where does social media enter in to your eScouting practices?

cs_DEP0h3A0Ej3DQChhsguaMqBY-f5mLPwO_GnmUBzx2qYHutiyEPJ0tcFspuS-lh6BkP-QPm5aek8aGySXyXhizPmcdBlGojxZzpVyzd5LlZsmDwDXdJHEthSBs-ibeNrMh-L64

I agree that social media can be a tool for scouting. If you know an area you're going to be hunting, there are often times numerous pages on FB that are community pages, whether it's a ______ River Association, a horse/bike/ski group, or even an outfitter's page. I like to browse them if for no other reason than to see what others are seeing in those areas. Gives me a good gauge of animals throughout the years for that particular area.

Careful about folks that post spots.
Our new state record shiras moose was found via facebook and now the guy has issues getting it scored because of the online post with the area it was found and taken.
Might not be the new sate record but a huge bull none the less.
Posts that get seen by many could be problematic.

Be nice to me or I'm gonna post a picture of the bulls from RMNP and #yourunit. You can just Venmo me the hush money...

Big Fin, where does blackmail rank in the Hunt funding income streams?

There was a thread a couple years back where escouting via social media became a GREAT resource... He joined the PETA loving FB sites where nubs explained their excitement of a "beautiful" animal, picture and close proximity area... Haha!

One tip I've liked is to go to hiking and backpacking site and forums. Read to the trail reviews for where you plan to go. These folks love to talk about the animals they have seen in great detail.

Agreed. The Continental Divide Trail runs through some great public land. I've read some hiker journals on trailjournals.com to get insights into a new hunting unit.

Law enforcement has taken a likening to Facebook as well.
It’s crazy what people will post online! I work in the anti-fraud arena, and I have a guy who does investigations on worker’s comp fraud. You’d be shocked at the number of people on permanent disability who’ll post pictures of themselves on top of a 12,000’ peak with a 70lb pack on their back. The funniest one was the dude from Ax Men who was on permanent disability and receiving disability benefits while he was on the show diving to the bottom of rivers and wrapping huge chains around logs, etc. We’ve got our own version of the Darwin Awards every year for the stupidest crooks.

It’s crazy what people will post online! I work in the anti-fraud arena, and I have a guy who does investigations on worker’s comp fraud. You’d be shocked at the number of people on permanent disability who’ll post pictures of themselves on top of a 12,000’ peak with a 70lb pack on their back. The funniest one was the dude from Ax Men who was on permanent disability and receiving disability benefits while he was on the show diving to the bottom of rivers and wrapping huge chains around logs, etc. We’ve got our own version of the Darwin Awards every year for the stupidest crooks.
Now that has to be a great job!

My wife sent a picture of 400 lb 6ft plus black bear from a closed FB group she's part of. Since the group is marked "private, I don't think it can be shared. The photo was taken about two miles from our house. Less than a 1/2 mile from some corporate timber ground.
Another friend posted a trail cam picture on FB of a Grizzly flattening their bait barrel in a place that IDFG says there are no Grizzlies.

Law enforcement has taken a likening to Facebook as well.

Used to be "S.S.S." (Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up) now it is more like "S.S.P." (Shoot, Shovel, and Post on FB). The ego and recognition are like sirens pulling poachers to social media.

A buddy who knows I have this goat took a pic of this goat. Notice when you compare the dead looking foliage to the first pic, its taken from the same spot as the first pic I posted. I was feeling good that it was a Billy.....now I'm 50/50. Thoughts? Looks to be 10" but I need more footage.

Attachments

• Attach12477_20200706_133105.jpg
    Attach12477_20200706_133105.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 37
Mature nanny. Thin bases @ the same size as the eye socket or smaller. Straight horns with a curve at the end rather than a longer curve. She looks to be @ 9” long to me. Pretty goat, but that’s the brood stock for next years and the next years goat tag holder. 😃

Mature nanny. Thin bases @ the same size as the eye socket or smaller. Straight horns with a curve at the end rather than a longer curve. She looks to be @ 9” long to me. Pretty goat, but that’s the brood stock for next years and the next years goat tag holder. 😃
I'll be testing out my camera skillz this weekend up in the goat district. Camping out up high, hoping to get some better footage of these critters.

Look for the singles or maybe a couple goats in proximity to each other. Those are most likely to be billies rather than the nanny and kid groups. Good luck! Post the pics up here rather than Facebook!😄

Got the idea to look at other forums from this. I've been a member of ifish.net for a long time but rarely post there (not really a fisherman much).

Anyway... TONS of posts for Oregon folks on their hunting forums.

I'm getting lots of intel for my deer unit that supposedly sucks but lots of folks who put in the time find success in. We shall see.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back