Yeti

Elk vs. Wolves

Trap

Post 211, the blue on that chart of permit availability . Shows that there are more permits available there . It is one of the only areas where there are more permits for moose that also have wolves . Blue shows a rise in Moose permits . The other blue areas there are pretty much no wolves where there is a rise in permits like north east Montana and Colorado and southern Idaho
👍gotcha. I think it’s a little misleading some of those areas they added new tags for short seasons in October and November. Unit 5 is good example they added tags and 2 new short seasons and have since cut the tag numbers for all the seasons. The bubbles aren’t really good indications of wolf density either. The units with increasing tags were more on fringes of the wolf range and less dense. Still interesting and some good information thanks !

Trap

There are parts of Idaho where I’m pretty confident tribal harvest far exceeds state harvest.
What units? Cda tribe has a drawing for moose permits valid just on the reservation. There is no other tribal hunting in the panhandle I know of. Not saying I disagree at all just not aware of big tribal harvest in panhandle or really anywhere on moose. I’m aware of a certain Idaho tribe that pounds the elk but they seem to spend most there time in Washington. Again not disagreeing just wondering what I am missing?

TheTone

I’ve seen CDA harvest numbers for units 5 and 6 that exceeded state harvest and if they get there way state tags would know longer be valid inside the reservation line regardless of property ownership.

Nez perce tribe does zero harvest reporting or monitoring of any type. They hammer moose when they can but again numbers don’t exist.

bullbugle307

I went down a rabbit hole on Moose not being native to Wyoming . Even looked on Petroglyphs, the earliest report I can find is Jackson Hole in 1850 . It has now become apparent to me I don't even know how long they would have to be there to be a Native species . If 170 years doesn't make them a native what does ?
A lot longer than that. I would say that they needed to be here without anthropogenic influence. I would guess that the moose that came into Wyoming were probably escaping the fact that they got shot to chit elsewhere. GYE was the only place most animals weren't going to slaughtered back then. Just like it was basically the only place left with bison and elk after they all got killed elsewhere.

Carnage2011

Yes that makes sense , Like maybe it is open enough the packs can't get established and people can shoot them ? I have only driven through there years ago .
There are multiple packs around Dillon...I hunted at least two different packs there this winter. I physically seen 24 wolves over 3 different days. Your data might be accurate from about 2002....

Reactions: JLS

Gatekeeper

There are multiple packs around Dillon...I hunted at least two different packs there this winter. I physically seen 24 wolves over 3 different days. Your data might be accurate from about 2002....
2016 is the most recent I can find, it is Montana so no clue how they arrive at the locations . Screen-Shot-2018-03-29-at-12.58.56-PM.jpg

Last edited:

Gatekeeper

A lot longer than that. I would say that they needed to be here without anthropogenic influence. I would guess that the moose that came into Wyoming were probably escaping the fact that they got shot to chit elsewhere. GYE was the only place most animals weren't going to slaughtered back then. Just like it was basically the only place left with bison and elk after they all got killed elsewhere.
Anthropogenic Influence you say, had to look that shit up . You would say that they needed to be here without anthropogenic influence ? That would be 10 maybe 12000 years ago . I'm going to go with Wyoming became a state in 1890 and there were moose in Wyoming then so they are Native to Wyoming . Anyway they are not doing so well the way I see it and wish there was an easy answer .

Trap

I’ve seen CDA harvest numbers for units 5 and 6 that exceeded state harvest and if they get there way state tags would know longer be valid inside the reservation line regardless of property ownership.

Nez perce tribe does zero harvest reporting or monitoring of any type. They hammer moose when they can but again numbers don’t exist.
👍 thanks

88man

something about that line shot to chit else where doesn't sit right with the concept that they were not native to Wyoming. Were they native to where they were shot to chit and escaping from?

Last edited:

bullbugle307

something about that line shot to chit else where doesn't site right with the concept that they were not native to Wyoming. Were they native to where they were shot to chit and escaping from?
Yeah. I don't follow your reasoning though. A brown trout was native to Germany/Europe before it got brought over here. Doesn't mean it was native to the US once it got here.

SITKA Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiveWild