PEAX Equipment

Elk Viewing RMNP

Eyeguy

Hey HT'ers. Taking my wife to Estes/Rocky mountain national park this week. Has anyone been recently? Was just hoping to see a bunch of elk so she could understand why I am so crazy when it comes to these creatures. Any tips? Should be a great time!

I think the elk are pretty much everywhere and still making a ton of noise. RMEF posted a video on Facebook this morning of a decent bull making a bunch of noise.

I can't help you with tips except have fun.

I think the elk are pretty much everywhere and still making a ton of noise. RMEF posted a video on Facebook this morning of a decent bull making a bunch of noise.

I can't help you with tips except have fun.

yep saw that one! I guess this is the next best thing to having a tag...ha!

As with anything, early in the morning and just before dark seem to be the best as the elk more active and there are less people (especially in the morning). Although you can see elk throughout the day. Lots of muleys too. I forgot the names of the meadows (or parks) but ask at the visitor center and they will show you where the best viewing areas are. note that there are plenty of elk in other places too. A run up top (trail ridge road?) is fun too. not as many elk on the other side, but there is a few things to see over there. I rememer seeing an absolutely enormous 5X5 by the visitor center. I stll think about the bull once in awhile!

Rutting elk in RMNP

You might want to check Moraine Park, Horseshoe Park, Sheep Lakes and on the way up Trail Ridge Road just before descending down toward the West entrance. Of course it wouldn't be unusual to see them roaming in and around Estes Park. Good luck - just keep your eyes open.
P.S. Don't forget your binoculars not to mention your camera!

Was just there a couple weeks ago. They have plenty of signs for designated 'Elk Viewing Areas'. If there's a meadow there, there'll be elk there early and late. You won't have any trouble finding them.

Im guessing ripping off challenge bugles is a no no..... :D haha. thanks for the responses.

Years ago my dad took his grandchildren to Estes Park for a day of touring with a plan to show them the elk that infest the golf course. I saw my first chronic wasting disease bull that day, (quite a sad thing to see) and got to see my father fire up a herd bull with his weird wyoming ranch kid mouth only bugle. The biggest bull was near one of the sand traps grazing away and as my dad sucked in air into his lungs making a pretty decent scream, that old bull picked his head up, galloped across the putting green and layed down a good bugle of his own, and thrashed the innocent raghorn grazing in the adjacent fairway.

As an aside, the local rules of play give you a free drop from elk poop and hoof prints.

Was up there a couple weeks ago for a hike up on the Ute trail. Ended up seeing the biggest bull I've ever seen at 11,000 feet. Big 6x7 with his cows bugling his brains out. There were pretty much elk everywhere though. I'm not sure about this time of year but be prepared for lots of people and traffic jams. Awesome place and a great time of year to be up there. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back