Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Stank Question

I think this may have been because I used the word "subtle". The HT Elk Police took exception. Clearly it was a poor word choice. They smell different, I just can't clearly describe the difference in words. Obviously no one else can either, not even RMEF. I think think "musky" is about the best. But after a few days of hunting and not seeing anything, my nose and eyes can convince my mind a lot of things are an elk, probably just to keep me going.

I once asked a co-worker to cut down a small hemlock tree that was in the way of survey. She told me she didn't know which one was a Hemlock so I showed her. She then asked me how I could tell that it was a Hemlock. I answered " because it looks like a Hemlock." I didn't think that answer warranted the verbal reaming I received for my "smart ass answer" but now am am reluctant to give the obvious answer as to what elk smell like. ELK. Cattle seems like the closest poor answer but that seems a bit demeaning to the elk.

If yer smelling elk you are close enough. Within minutes of them. And they don't smell nothing like bovine a bit. I grew up around cattle and as mtmuley says the two got a complete different odor I promise ya.

I see a pattern here. Those who are around cattle a lot say elk and cattle aren't even close.

Those who aren't cowboys say it's sort of close.

Elk tend to piss right before they run off. They are also pretty stinky otherwise. Smelling them could mean you're either close or are too late.

I think elk are one of the easiest animals to still hunt. They aren't as spooky to noise, and make a lot of it themselves. They are fairly easy to spot in the trees as well.

Good luck on your next hunt, elk are fun to hunt!

Hello, I am 0-4 on self guided elk hunts but still trying to connect the dots. My last hunt was a rifle cow tag in WY 24. Talking to other hunters, they said they were seeing elk in the timber and that a still hunt may be a good strategy. I'm not super skilled at this but gave it a go.

As I was working my way through, I suddenly hit a super sour elk smell that was as strong as any kitchen or bathroom smell at home. I froze. I couldnt see it but the smell was strong. Two minutes later,still frozen, I heard what was something large running away and I never got a look at it.

To help me learn more about what happened, I had a couple questions: how close do you think you can normally smell an elk? Does the strong smell indicate bull vs cow or do they both have a strong aroma? To the skilled/experienced people can you smell a cow from a bull? Is this rare or common in still hunting (ie to smell em before you ever see em)?

Thanks and have a nice weekend, Paul
Let me try to help you out so you have a better chance on your 5th hunt. If I had an area 24 cow tag in Wyoming, still hunting timber would not be how I would primarily hunt with a rifle. Most of my rifle elk, bull or cow, have been first seen at enough of a distance I would not be able to smell them. Most of those elk wouldn't have been able to smell me either.

Are you catching on?

Good luck!

Back