Elk rifle

elkhnter

Might be a stupid question, but here goes.
I’ve drawn a 1st rifle tag in Colorado this fall. Been a while since I’ve rifle hunted for elk.
Narrowed the choices down to 2, a 673 in 300 saum or a Model 70 in 325 wsm.
The 300 is shooting a 168 TSX at 2825, getting a 1 1/2” group. It handles the best, is a couple oz lighter and is a shorter rifle.
The 325 is shooting a 200 Partition at 2825, getting a 3/4” group. It handles well and is not bad to carry.
Both are wearing Leupold glass.
Which one would you take? Southern Colorado, shots can range from 75-350 yards.
Thanks for your input.

Didn’t mention the 300 Weatherby sitting in the safe. That’s an option too. It shoots around 1” with 180 TSX.
That’s what I’d shoot but I’m very prone to forgetting things when I travel. God forbid I forget 300 WBY. I’d have to make a slingshot to finish the hunt.

I'm going to assume the 673 is a guide rifle , and the M70 is an extreme weather.
In this assumption, I'd take the Winchester because it's a CRF, all weather, and you shoot it better than the Remington .
Or take both and carry which ever one matches your mood that day.

Well, crud! After MillerKillers comment, I’m leaning towards the 300 Weatherby, it’s a Weathermark, the only true all weather rifle I own.
The 673 used to be a guide gun until I worked it over to drop some weight. She’s got a DuraCoat finish and with some advice from P_ham, all the kinks are worked out.
The Model 70 is a super grade with aftermarket laminate stock. A beauty queen in bib overalls.
The Weathermark was put together as my idea of the perfect western rifle. Kinda stupid that I didn’t consider it.

I also had this debate with myself earlier. I have a 300 WBY that I really liked but ammo availability was the deciding factor to me. So I just built my 30-06 to be similar to my 300 Weatherby.
My first centerfire rifle was a Herter's .30-06 that I put toghther back in 1967. I shapped the stock similar to Roy Weatherby's. In 2009 I bought my first Weatherby rifle, a Vanguard in .300 Wby, and again, I shaped the stock to look like a MK V. The rifles have similar looks, but there is about 250-300 fps difference in bullet velocities.

I shot my first elk with an iron sighted .30-40 Krag, shot my 2nd best 6x6 bull with a 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullet from my .257 Ackley, a couple dozen with my .30-06 and .30 Gibbs, a couple with a 7mm RM, and a couple with my .300 Wby which is now my favorite elk rifle.

Bullet placement is more important than brand or make of the rifle, or of the caliber of the bullet.

Take all three to the range. Shoot each one from several positions you may use while hunting. Set the target at 50 yards for a fast shot, time yourself to represent jumping a big bull in the timber. Then set the target at 200 yards and shoot the same positions without a time limit. Afterwards see which rifle you shoot best. Then you have your answer. There wasn't that simple?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back