Elk Pictures w/ Score

This one is 309

Attachments

• FA1E6859-D06B-4C3E-AA79-EB2BBE0D3634.jpeg
    FA1E6859-D06B-4C3E-AA79-EB2BBE0D3634.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Probably should have spent more time like the OP before this year. Watched last year's bull for a few scouting weekends from over a mile away. Opening day at 100 yards realized he wasn't as big as I thought...
Thin beams really make them look longer!
266 7/8
I have alot of video footage if anyone requests. If I posted screenshots I'd have arguments it's different, but it's the same bull. Heat waves really seem to affect antler size.
1000001127.jpg1000001169.jpg

Last edited:
I will say as a self taught hunter that 260s bull taught me alot. Glassing from over a mile in thermal heat waves can make that elk look like 350s at time and at other angles the antlers just about disappeared. Because of that I probably could have guessed the mass wasn't very much.

Since then I've heard a bull nose to antlers base roughly 16" on a mature bull, that's helped some rechecking my videos.

Probably should have spent more time like the OP before this year. Watched last year's bull for a few scouting weekends from over a mile away. Opening day at 100 yards realized he wasn't as big as I thought...
Thin beams really make them look longer!
266 7/8
View attachment 313843View attachment 313844
A lack of mass can be misleading. But when you see mass - you know it. Tine length and main beam length make up most of the score but aesthically a heavy set of antlers is the coolest thing for me.

I cant post pics with known scores - all my elk were raghorns. The elk i shot with a rifle has average whitetail mass and is incredibly short and the archery bull is also a trophy to me (first archery kill!) but not worth scoring.

IMG_5425.jpeg
Bull I just took down from a very high spot on the wall in order to remove the stupid gold paint. Score? Any tips on getting rid of the spray paint?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back