Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk muzzleloader

A-con

On my short list of guns I want is an in line muzzleloader for hunting elk.
I have some points built up in different states that give out muzzleloader tags in or near the rut.

The gun will be a Stainless Steel .50, set up with peep sights and a scope mount.

So far, my research is leading me towards a T/C Omega or a CVA Accura V-2, with a rib that will accept a peep or a scope.

What’s your idea of the prefect elk gun for Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and maybe Arizona.

Who is your favored on-line source for front loaders and supplies .

Depending on the state I would choose a .50 Cal Knight Disc Elite with a 3.5X10X40 VX-III or a .50 Cal Knight Bighorn with a 3/ 8 in. Williams twilight peep.

Both are set and ready to go, all I need is the tag.

Is Knight still making rifles ?

We'll see, maybe next year...they were just bought not too long ago.

Maybe there will be news from the SHOT show. Hopefully they'll make something decent.

Their customer service was always the best but honestly besides their old school plunger guns...I didn't like their newer models, they're too ugly and heavy.

Last edited:
TC but have to admit I'm somewhat biased.

I beleive T/C makes about the best muzzle loader but I am somewhat biased. I own 4 T/C's. Personally, I prefer the break open in line style of my Encore for the simple fact it's much easier to clean.

Look into the White's, there is really nothing close to them in preformance. They are also very reasonably priced. Check out the White's 91 or any version of it. Google "White's muzzleloading".

I beleive T/C makes about the best muzzle loader but I am somewhat biased. I own 4 T/C's. Personally, I prefer the break open in line style of my Encore for the simple fact it's much easier to clean.

Have you been able to get heavy conicals to shoot out of your TCs?

I'm partial to Knights as well. I don't find them hard to clean or it being time consuming.

Some states don't allow the use of a scope, some require the use of conicals only, etc. IMO I'd find a rifle that will shoot big heavy conicals. Spend time getting used to it and don't over think it.

My favorit muzz that I have is a Knight disc Elite that I did a few upgrades to. I had a front ramp/hood sight installed and matched it with a Williams peep. It shoots 460gr No Excuses bullets extremely wells far as I'm comfortable shooting it too. I prefer to shoot the heavy conicals due to CO restrictions, in the process became very comfortable with he combo and have never thought about changing to something else even if regulations allow it.

I've not heard anyone say TCs will shoot heavy conicals well, but they shoot light cons and sabots well. I've never been impressed with the penetration of the light conicals, less than 400gr+\-

Can't go wrong with the CVA Apex. 4 shots and 4 deer hanging this fall.
Barnes T-EZ 250gr., 110gr. BlackHorn 209, CCI 209 primer. 2 1/4 in. group at 200 yrds.
The shots were 65 yards, 110 yards, 136 yards and 158 yards. 3 of them were spine shots that drop them in their tracts and the other was a heart heart, she went 20 yards.

Last edited:
I have a CVA Optima magnum...with a 295 grain powerbelt, 150 grains of Hogdens triple7 and a CCI 209 shotgun primer...I'm amazed at the accuracy and knock down power for the price

FYI from current COLORADO hunt regs (in case of any future Colo. hunts):

3. MUZZLELOADING RIFLES
& SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
c. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or conical
projectile.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be minimum of
.40 caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must
be minimum of .50 caliber.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber,
bullets must weigh minimum
170 grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets
must weigh minimum 210
grains.
h. Shotshell primers are legal.
i. Pelletized powder systems prohibited
in muzzleloading seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on
open or iron sights are legal. Scopes or any sighting device
using artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are prohibited
during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth
patches are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
Black powder and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated
into or attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading
seasons.

What is a legal muzzleloader in utah?

I was planning a bowhunt and got bumped to Muzzleloader season. Can you use powerbelts and pellets? How about a red dot?

I shot a big bull in NM with an older Knight .54 caliber at 110 yards and went through both lungs. I don't use a scope. Animal jumped and ran maybe 30 yards. Buddy shot a black bear with a 20" skull on the same hunt with a Thompson .50 caliber and that one went about 15 yards. I think any of the inlines will work for you if the shot is good.

really watch those state regs,they vary alot state to state,colorado and oregon seem to be sticking with the most traditional{old style}rules.

ARCAT.. As for Utah you can use any scope that has NON-Magnifying Optics... red dots are good as long as they are non-magnifying, Holographics are good as well as "iron sites". You can use sabots, balls, conicals... pellets or loose powder.

I've got a 50 cal. TC Omega with a Williams peep on it. I shoot a 348 gr. Powerbelt, with 120 grains of Pyrodex, or Triple 7. Its proven itself accurate and lethal in Colorado twice on elk for me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back