Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

TC Omega and Blackhorn 209

crock239

Working up a loose powder load for a Colorado elk hunt this September. Shooting T/C Omega "Dream Season" -- started with Powerbelt 338 platinum over 90 grains of Blackhorn 209, using CCI Magnum 209 (209M) Shotshell Primers.

Top shot below is clean barrel at 50 yds.

Then ran out to 100 yds -- first shot hit to right in the brisket. The next 3 rounds are the group to the left.

20190819_100408.jpg

I figure 100 yds is max range for me anyway so...happy with the load now need to strip off my scope, install peep sight to get CO legal and give it another go. Will post an update then.

No issues with ignition on the BH209 and did not need to clean the barrel for any of these five shots -- no trouble at all loading any of these either.

I don't have much experience with muzzleloaders but have read/heard of issues with BH209 ignition and/or that some TC guns don't like powerbelts. Seems like I'm not having those issues so I'm pleased with the current direction so far.

Nice!

I've been doing some similar work with mine (although a Traditions brand). I pulled the scope for my CO hunt, shot a bit, then remounted (quick-release mounts).. POI was off about 6" at 150 yds, so may require a bit of fine tuning between CO and when I relocate to KS.

100 gr (volume) BH209, Federal primers, Fed Premium 270 gr copper bullets. 100 yd zero, 12" drop at 200 yds. Won't matter in CO though, as I'll be limited to around 100 also without the scope.

I think I've gone up to 15 shots between swabs with the BH209, and still had easy loading and post-shooting clean-up.

I am using a peep for an upcoming NV hunt. Sure is sobering after using a scope to hit targets out to 300 yards using a 50 cal with Blackhorn 209 and the CCI 209M then pop off the scope to switch to the peep and have the entire 200 yard target covered by the front bead. I can consistently hit the 100 yard target with the peep. I also can go 10 or more shots without cleaning the barrel. I can use the scope in NM later this autumn and will be so much easier to get to that range on an elk. NV will be interesting.

Very happy with my Omega & BH209. Dialed mine years ago with 100gr 209 ,Barnes 250sabots & Nikon scope for NM & I'm good out to 200. I won't try farther on an animal & I would cut that to 100 if I had to go with open sights again ,eyes not quite what they were with iron sights these days.

I am in the same school of thought with Hank. 100 with a peep as the entire front site will darn near cover up an elk vitals at that range.

I was fortunate enough back in the day to be able to afford 2 muzzleloaders. I have a Pro Hunter that is set up with optics, and an Omega set up with a peep ( back then I called it my Colorado smoke pole). ProHunter is dialed in at 200 yards, but it better be a complete slam dunk shot, no wind, I am well rested, broadside, etc..

Both run 115 of Blackhorn and Federal primers. Pro Hunter runs MMP orange sabots and Speer or Kodiak .458 in 350gr. Omega likes Hornady HPB 350grainers.

Got back to the range yesterday w peep installed. Still 90 grains BH209, powerbelt 338 platinum, cci 209m primers

1st shot 25 yards center and a bit low....adjust, out to 50 hit almost same spot....adjust, out to 100 yards

At 100 yards the front "bead" covers the entire orange circle and I can definitely see the limits of my shooting

1st shot at 100 yds low and left, couple adjust/shoot iterations and my final two shots at 100 yards are in the 9 ring just left of center.

I figure it's shooting better than me so time to go hunting. Only two weeks left!20190829_184641.jpg

I was out Wednesday with my new Impact, 90gr of BH209 under Federal BOR Locks was shooting pretty darn nice once I got the rear sight where I needed it. I used the cheapo Plinker sabots for rough sight-in. This blackpowder thing is pretty fun, I could get into this! Will definitely be putting on a peep sight though...

Back