Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico set up

Id prob just get a Paramount and be done with the research.... thats what i did. #smokepole #keephammering #fugginsendit

Taken off NM regs today:

“Muzzleloader, bow or crossbow only: Any sporting arm in which the charge and projectile(s) are loaded through the muzzle. Only blackpowder, Pyrodex or equivalent blackpowder substitute may be used. Use of smokeless powder is prohibited. Scopes, sabots and in-line ignition may be used with muzzleloaders except during restricted muzzleloader deer hunts. Hunters may also use any bow or crossbow. Arrows and bolts must have broadheads (fixed or mechanical) with cutting edges. Sights on bows and crossbows may not project light. No drugs may be used on arrows or bolts, and they cannot be driven by explosives, gunpowder or compressed air.”

So- by this wording, a man is entitled to great latitude in selecting a smokepole set up for NM unrestricted MZ hunts. It is ultimately the projectile and propellant that will limit your distance. They don’t make long skinny .650 BC bullets for MZ and even if they did, can’t use smokeless propellant. You are therefore limited to maybe 200 yards at most.

Barnes bullets are hard to top in performance from a muzzleloader in my experience. Extremely accurate and the terminal performance great.

I have a UML that wouldn't shoot at all. I should have figured something was up when the breech plug was damaged from the factory and it was tumbling the supplied sabots. After spending to much time and money trying different bullets that would not work, I had it rebarreled by Arrowhead rifles and uses their breech plug. Now I am shooting three touching shots at 100 yards and muzzle velocity of 2550 with 300 gr bullets and BH209. I shot a bull with it this year at 220, no problems.
I would shoot that UML with BH209 and see how it does. I know some of them can be accurate. I just got a Friday rifle.
Did you get a pass-through?

My son just drew a unit 15 youth muzzy, my old tc encore will hold good groups to 250 easy. However I just found a paramount 50 cal so I thought why not try, putting a vortex razor on it with a anarchy brake I’ll hopefully be testing it next week. I only have one pound of blackhorn that combo will eat it up fast. Hard to find currently. Nervous about the tag seeing lots of mixed reviews about that area. I figure it’s gotta be better than Colorado otc we have been doing and heck we even have had good luck on that.

My son just drew a unit 15 youth muzzy, my old tc encore will hold good groups to 250 easy. However I just found a paramount 50 cal so I thought why not try, putting a vortex razor on it with a anarchy brake I’ll hopefully be testing it next week. I only have one pound of blackhorn that combo will eat it up fast. Hard to find currently. Nervous about the tag seeing lots of mixed reviews about that area. I figure it’s gotta be better than Colorado otc we have been doing and heck we even have had good luck on that.
That sounds like a helluva contraption there! You could back down the charge to more pedestrian levels and stretch out powder. Elk Mountain had a 200 acre fire last month so that’s worth glassing.

We drew the youth in 17. I'm picking up a .50 cal barrel for our TC pro hunter this week. Is your Encore 50 or 45 cal? Good to hear you're getting good groups out to 250. What powder bullet combo?
My fil has a 50 cal encore pro hunter, but we've never shot it past 100.
I'd like for the gun I'm putting together to be capable to 300, although my son's actual range will depend on how he does this summer practicing. I'm still not sure on what scope I'm going with.

With the encore I just keep it simple, 3 pellets of pyrodex and a 250 grain hornady sabot. Wet patch Dry patch after every shot seems to work very well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back