elk meat in camp or truck

tom338

So you tag out. get you elk meat into a cooler and help your partner try and tag out also. Your meat is in coolers and in the back of a truck or in the shade of a tree while you are hunting. You are in grizzly country and there are also plenty of black bears. What do you do to protect the meat in camp??

Nearest processor is at least a 5 hour drive. I do have a portable electric fence???

Our meat gets hung until we are ready to go.....but that is 2nd season and we at least get chilly nights

This what I do, we hunt a unit that has lot's of black bears, they regularly as in at least once a year get ahold of a cooler and tear it up. I generally hang the meat just outside of camp in the shade, you want it at least 6' off the ground and 2' or 3' away from the base of the tree. After it is cool I put them in the cooler's and tie down strap them too the trailer, this normally will deter any bear from getting at the meat. They may try too get at it but I strap the heck outta the coolers and there is no way they can get that cooler too budge. Hope this helps.
Matt

Back