Elk Massacre near Hwy.89 between Rawling and White Sulpher Springs

When these "shootings" happen it takes a while to get things sorted out. Some of the details of the event are probably not being released to the public at this time for good reason.

Hopefully, what happened will get sorted out and those responsible will be charged and they will see their day in court.

If you are upset with the situation, and you should be, and you have any information that may help the law enforcement folks, then let them know what you know.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
I have witnessed one of these massacres before, heading into Ennis, MT. As was mentioned, sadly people just lose their minds. In my event, trucks were literally driving off the highway as people were jumping out and shooting at elk. At each fence crossing there was more and more wounded elk until the entire heard was dead.

We as a group must continue to do better. There is nothing good about any of these situations.

I can confirm these facts from personal observation: my sons and I were returning from the Ryegate area yesterday afternoon. We drove down Highway 294. At approximately 5:00 we drove past the Caitlin Ranch where it intersects with Highway 89. At that time, there were all the hallmarks of a complete rodeo. Probably 20-30 rigs parked all spotting into the BMA within a mile of the 294/89 intersection. Saw only one elk, a bull, on a rig. Saw another group of hunters in the middle of a open field to the north of 294 obviously working on an elk on the ground. Saw only one other group out of their rigs on the ground.

The appearance of it being some kind of a flock shoot was obvious enough that we discussed it in the truck.

However, a conservation officer tailed us from the Cottonwood Creek Road turn to the 89 intersection. We fully expected given the scene for him or her to stop and see what was going on. That rig turned south on 89 and did not stop. We went north. At the highway 12/89 junction we met another marked CO rig turning south on 89.

Didn't see any shooting, or anymore than 2 elk on the ground, but seemed evident that a big bunch was on the Caitlin and word had gotten out . ...

200??? Wtf that has to be an exaggeration.. 200??? Lucky it was only elk that were killed. Jesus! Glad I was in the mountains.. buddy called yesterday, “heard they are killing em up by ringling”.. yea no thanks!

200??? Wtf that has to be an exaggeration.. 200??? Lucky it was only elk that were killed... Jesus.. Glad I was I the mountains.. buddy called yesterday, “heard they are killing em up by ringling”.. yea no thanks!
Yeah, but one hunter died from a heart problem.

That right there is why I don't care to hunt for elk in general units. Witnessing something like that is about enough to make you want to quit hunting.

That right there is why I don't care to hunt for elk in general units. Witnessing something like that is about enough to make you want to quit hunting.
I would say this is a not an everyday occurrence, yes it can obviously happen but not always. However, it shouldn't cause hunters to shy away or dislike hunting general units. There's plenty of good, fun, hard as hell general hunting where you'd never see anything of the sort.

Jesus Christ... I'm looking for a different place to hunt since the early snow burned my other area. But I'm thinking I'll stay away from that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back