Elk .... Let's see them!!!

My first elk. Tried last year, no luck. Yesterday was a good day. 8 degrees, probably minus 10 with windchill, a foot of snow. 1.5 miles of hauling meat. Shot at 10:30, hauled meat until 9:30. Going in for the last load this morning. Man that's a workout.

27898.jpeg

Last edited:
My first elk. Tried last year, no luck. Yesterday was a good day. 8 degrees, probably minus 10 with windchill, a foot of snow. 1.5 miles of hauling meat. Shot at 10:30, hauled meat until 9:30. Going in for the last load this morning. Man that's a workout.

View attachment 299283

Well-known member​

JoinedOct 9, 2019Messages333
Man, I wish I saw as many elk as I did hunters. Heck, I'd be happy with 25%. Scratch that spot off the list. I even climbed a couple thousand feet to try to get away. That's pretty good for this 57 year old 😀

Still good fun. I'm enjoying the journey of trying to piece the puzzle together. I will get there.

Like Reply
Reactions:FoodIsMemories

You got there quicker than I would have guessed. Good for you.
1698586973484.gif

Well-known member​

JoinedOct 9, 2019Messages333
Man, I wish I saw as many elk as I did hunters. Heck, I'd be happy with 25%. Scratch that spot off the list. I even climbed a couple thousand feet to try to get away. That's pretty good for this 57 year old 😀

Still good fun. I'm enjoying the journey of trying to piece the puzzle together. I will get there.

Like Reply
Reactions:FoodIsMemories

You got there quicker than I would have guessed. Good for you.
View attachment 299386
Thank you! Lot to be said for the person who coined the phrase elk will be where you find them. Wish I could say it was my incredible escouting skills. Nope, just lots of hiking 😁

Helped a good friend opening week of rifle in Wyoming. Great time and a really good stalk ending with a 5 yard shot with his .270.

IMG_03701.jpeg

Sep 2nd- Got it done opening day archery in Colorado! The morning started off quick, I planned to stalk for mule deer. But a bull bigger than this bugles just a few hundred yards from the ridge I was sitting waiting on daylight. He came straight to my calls but ended just as quick when he got my wind just 80 yds away.
I went back to looking for mule deer, and after covering a couple miles came across this bull feeding a few hundred yards out in a mix of meadows, timber and brush. As I made an approach to him I spotted three smaller bulls in the brush just a hundred yards in front of me. Without many options for getting around the small bulls without getting busted, I decided to try and take one. While stalking into position on the others the bigger bull fed down and around and came into 48yds bugling. He made eye contact and looked like he was going to bust out, so I took a frontal shot. He didn’t bleed for over a hundred yards but I found him piled up 200 yards away.
I called in reinforcements and my wife and kids showed up to help skin and pack out. Shot at 820am, let sit and found at 10am, skinned some while waiting on kids then went to work hard around 2pm, we had a 3.2 mile hike out with some surrounding lightning storms to keep us on our toes. We made it to the truck for 7pm with about 160lbs of meat . By then we had inlaws to take the kids and drop us an atv. Me and the wife had to take an hour drive around, then 30 minute atv trail, then hike up .8 miles/500ft+ el.(and stupid steep) to the remaining two bags and antlers. We made it to the truck with last load around 2 am.
1698644463170.png

My daughter got her first elk this season. On the second evening of the muzzy season we spotted this bull feeding and not moving much about 3/4 mile across the mountain. We made our way over there and with light fading we found ourselves only 50 yards away with a few trees in between us. As we eased around the trees, my daughter said she saw him run. I ease up and see him standing away at 90 yards, looking back. Not sure if he saw or heard us, but he didn't get our wind. I get her set up on the trigger stick at the edge of tree and give a few cow calls. It piques his curiosity and he turns and makes a few steps towards us. He stops head on then quarters to, then back head on, then quartering again. As he turns sideways, slightly quartering to us at 45, I'm about to call to stop him, but he stops on his own, and BOOM! She shoots, she said "I was on him the whole time". He runs off. We eased up to where he was standing to look for blood, but don't see any. We hear something run off. We decided to wait until morning. We find him piled up less than 100yds away. I think what we heard run off were some mule deer does that were nearby. With me, my daughter, buddy, wife, and fil we made quick work of the bull and were out the 2.5 miles to the truck by lunch.

1698644523582.png

1698644420111.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back