Elk .... Let's see them!!!

Got back into the States from a deployment on the 4th of Nov, home the 5th. Loaded up the truck on Friday the 6th of Nov and launched for CO 3rd Season on the 7th, Opening Day. Got a 5 x 5 on my second day of Hunting. Helped out looking for another Buck and Bulls. Drove up to Montana a few days later. Got the only legal bull in a large herd on my second day of Hunting. Drove home with plenty of time for Thanksgiving with Family. Drove to WY for my Cow tag on the 3rd of Dec, linked up with a coworker. Hunted walk-in areas, covered lots of ground. Tough Hunting with no snow on the ground. Heard a large herd was in the area. Found a good water source in an area nearby to where we were hunting often. Covered a lot of ground and literally drove up on a herd of over 150 and got the Cow. Freezer is filled, wife is pissed and happy at the same time since we don't have room in the freezers. Good Season of Hunting. Thanks for all the advise I've read on the site. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years. God Bless you all!! Happy Hunting!
Congrats, that's a lot of good eating! Thank you sir for serving our country!

My first elk, Colorado, OTC, 2020.
Rifle: Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range .300 Win. Mag.,
Scope: Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44
Bullet: Nosler Accubond 180 gr.
Distance: 150 yards
It took me 3 years to get my first DIY elk. Watched Newberg over and over. Really appreciate the information and knowledge.

Attachments

• IMG_20201012_115117_402.jpg
    IMG_20201012_115117_402.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20201012_115117_403.jpg
    IMG_20201012_115117_403.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 67
It took me 3 years to get my first DIY elk. Watched Newberg over and over. Really appreciate the information and knowledge.
Congrats on the elk and welcome aboard!

Congrats!! Beautiful bull. Hopefully you were made aware that there is no known cure for this after your first one.

This past falls bull. Taken at 12000 ft in Colorado wilderness area. Some guy with lamas and a camera crew were camped 50 yards from this spot the day before. He killed his bull opening day and packed out on day 2. This guy came in to drink on day 3. The “lama guy” is the real deal, hiked in a long way. My buddy and I got there on horses and were pretty beat up. Was an honor to share that section of wilderness with him.0BBB724B-4513-4A49-B721-058AC7C102AA.jpeg

Congrats, well done.

2020 bull. Literally the last minute of the last day. I was packing my stuff up to head back to camp on the last afternoon of season. I herd a cow call and then another. Then some sticks breaking on the mountain side I was watching that afternoon. After a few minutes and relocating where I could see the area they were in. With literally 9 minutes left in the season I was able to get my second elk.

Attachments

• E9B71B41-2F7D-41C3-8591-EBE9A3C2B061.jpeg
    E9B71B41-2F7D-41C3-8591-EBE9A3C2B061.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
This past falls bull. Taken at 12000 ft in Colorado wilderness area. Some guy with lamas and a camera crew were camped 50 yards from this spot the day before. He killed his bull opening day and packed out on day 2. This guy came in to drink on day 3. The “lama guy” is the real deal, hiked in a long way. My buddy and I got there on horses and were pretty beat up. Was an honor to share that section of wilderness with him.View attachment 172766
Great pic !! Love that setting !!!

Here's the deal. Since the "Let's see them" pronghorn thread is one of the most viewed on this site, and most viewed by lurkers, I am thinking we should do the same with elk and show how many elk guys on this site take.

This thread will be a "sticky thread" and be at the top of the Elk Forum, from here on out. It doesn't matter when you shot it, how you shot it, or if you were just the person helping, this is the thread to post elk pictures. No need to post a long story, just a pic and a few notes about the hunt.

Be as specific or vague as you want, as far as location.

Here goes.

2005 - Missouri River Breaks rifle tag. My son's first elk. Most fun I ever had on an elk hunt. We were joined by my brother, Logdawg.

View attachment 32075

Thanks for doing this. I hope this thread becomes as popular as the pronghorn thread. I know you guys have shot a lot of elk, so post 'em up right here, even if they have previsouly been posted on another thread.
Awesome Bull! Congrats

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back