Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk in a Fine Restaurant

Lucky_Lep

So I had my first Elk Backstrap in a restaurant last night. WTF!?!?
First, chard on the entire outside.
Second, blue rare in the middle
Third, the "sauce" looked like it was a can of blueberry pie filling they dumped on the plate. Barf!!!
I switched to the Butter Garlic/salt/pepper combo that came with the Tiger Shrimp, and then . . . yum.

Other than old fashioned Butter/Garlic/Salt/Pepper, what are the better recipes these days?

Any kind of game meat in a restaurant is from a game farm, by law.
They probably have no knowledge of how to cook it to begin with hence the nasty "sauce".
I had some venison breakfast sausage once at a breakfast joint and it tasted like the smell of the rankest rutting mule deer buck you've ever smelled. :(

I've had excellent elk in Victoria & Santa Margarita restaurants.
Had some that was one bite and spit it out.

Had that happen at other folks meals too. Some folks know nothing of meat care or preparation.

Had a couple hunters camp here last year. Nice guys. They shared some venison cooked in a disco one night. I ate a few bites and luckily got a phone call. Rio had a tough time with the rest.

Last edited:
If you are ever in Telluride, CO the elk loin at Alred's is amazing. I don't recall what the sauce was but I wish I could replicate it. So damn good!!

99% of the time I just add garlic salt and cayenne pepper. Depending on the thickness usually 2- 3 minutes per side in a cast iron skillet. Throw the entire thing into a 350 oven for 3-4 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes slice and serve.

Any kind of game meat in a restaurant is from a game farm, by law.
They probably have no knowledge of how to cook it to begin with hence the nasty "sauce".
I had some venison breakfast sausage once at a breakfast joint and it tasted like the smell of the rankest rutting mule deer buck you've ever smelled. :(
Lesson learned.

Had a couple hunters camp here last year. Nice guys. They shared some venison cooked in a disco one night. I ate a few bites and luckily got a phone call. Rio had a tough time with the rest.
You couldn't do Rio a solid and call him after you left about a broken sprinkler at his house or something?? 😉 🤙

If you are ever in Telluride, CO the elk loin at Alred's is amazing. I don't recall what the sauce was but I wish I could replicate it. So damn good!!
I did have some awesome Elk Meatballs in Park City last year. I think it was a 2 to 1 mix of Elk and Wagu, with salt/pepper/garlic and a butter sauce for dipping.

my wife really enjoyed elk tendies at the buckhorn exchange in denver

my dry aged buffalo ribeye was better though

she still loves my smoked and seared rare pronghorn tendies the most though

I refuse to eat pen raised wild animals. My stomach will not allow. CWD

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back