Elk Hunting Partner - Colorado

Natasha

Hello,

Im looking for an Elk Hunting partner for the 2016 season. I am an outdoors woman, and backpack hunt for Rifle season, but if your into archery, im happy to go along and help you pack out. What it really boils down to is that I love all things outdoors and want to learn more about hunting. I recently lost my hunting partner, he moved away for school, but i dont want to miss a season, even if im just helping you pack in and out, Im good with that. although i would love to plan a hunt, i know of some exceptional elk areas in Colorado if your strong enough to hunt them. This past season I backpacked 8 miles into a wilderness area. Elk everywhere. Almost got a Cow but couldn't take the shot. I live in Northern Colorado, but im frequently across the state doing fishing or hunting in various areas, so meeting up inst a problem if you live far away.

-- Natasha

Welcome to OYOA!
Really nice first post! You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to take you up on the offer!

Welcome!! My wife might be hunting elk next year with a rifle and it would be nice to get her out with a woman's perspective. She's hunted deer with a rifle and antelope with a muzzleloader, just hasn't connected on anything yet. Last year was her first ever hunting season...a reformed city girl :D She just can't backpack in miles at a time due to physical limitations, so it would more than likely be hunting from a camper. I do plan on getting her a bow in the new future, since she is dropping some not so subtle hints about wanting one.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all the warm wishes. Hopefully ill find someone and we can start planning. I defiantly want to get in at least 5 back country runs and scouting trips in prior to the season starting. It never hurts to have extra conditioning.

Last edited:
I will let you know.. My wife and I normally come out every Sept and archery elk diy hunt in southern Colorado..
We like back country hunting a lot.

We may be out sooner as we are trying to move out there and we have put in some job applications.

Cool, What GMUs you usually hunt? I've really only hunted the Gunnison area and surrounding wilderness, but i know people who hunt southern CO.

I used to hunt elk in unit 70 every year until my honey hole and local herd got found out...lol That's where I was going to take my wife for her first archery elk, since the whole unit gets over run with the orange army during rifle seasons. I'm starting out fresh with a new unit in southern CO this year that I've heard a lot of good things about, which is only an hour from my house. Hopefully it works out and I can get my wife in there. Start her out with a 1st season rifle and get her in there with archery eventually. It would be awesome to have a women's HT hunt like us guys do with the bear hunts :D

Cool, What GMUs you usually hunt? I've really only hunted the Gunnison area and surrounding wilderness, but i know people who hunt southern CO.

Past 5 years we hunt in unit 78..
I use to up North for some years to in unit 14..

I guess I'm a tad confused by what you're planning here. Are you putting in for the 1st rifle season draw? Are you planning now to commit yourself to what GMU you're going to rifle hunt?
I live in the mountains of Unit 80, and 80 & 81 can be hunted together with the same tag.. I'll be helping some non resident archery friends, but might have the rifle season time open, unless I put in for a leftover cow tag. (?) I also have horses and a mule to pack in.

I guess I'm a tad confused by what you're planning here. Are you putting in for the 1st rifle season draw? Are you planning now to commit yourself to what GMU you're going to rifle hunt?
I live in the mountains of Unit 80, and 80 & 81 can be hunted together with the same tag.. I'll be helping some non resident archery friends, but might have the rifle season time open, unless I put in for a leftover cow tag. (?) I also have horses and a mule to pack in.

Do you only hunt 80 and 81? or would you want to try another GMU? Do you have high success down in southern CO?

Usually I hunt GMU 80 & 81, as I'm the most familiar with this country. I spend a lot of time in the off season on horseback and hiking these areas, so I am familiar with some good areas, and limited completion from other hunters.
As for "high success" in these units, they don't really stand out with regard to hunter success stats, and I'm sure there are plenty of other GMU's that have far more Elk and higher success rates. I hunt here, because I live here. If I only want to hunt 2/3's of a day, it's not big deal, as I didn't have to travel a great many miles to get to my hunting area.

Elk Hunt partner needed

Natasha, did you ever find a hunting partner/pal for your CO elk hunt? I just posted my search for the same. If you haven't give me a shout. Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back