Elk help

Just Justin

Quick question. I have a cow elk hanging in the garage. The temp is supposed to get up to 40 degrees this week. Should I worry? It has been below 32 degrees at night.

BTW, I'm new. So I'll say hi while I'm here.

I wouldn't worry about it. It should stay cooler in the garage than it will be outside. Forty degrees wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Oak

Well, Welcome aboard first of all.

Second of all, They say (Whoever "THEY" are) that you can hang a Critter for 7 days if you cool the meat down fairly fast and It never Reaches over 40 Deg.

Some people hang the meat to age it. I , on the other hand, cut it up right away. Just preference though I guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm not letting the meat age. I'm tring to get my back better so I can finish what I started
smile.gif
I'll start cutting tonight.

Great site BTW.

Welcome aboard...
I just got mine from Wy. cut up, it has been hanging, mostly frozen though...
They will last quite awhile if you make sure you get the heat out of the bones first and then make sure it doesn't get warm to the touch...
biggrin.gif

ELKCHSR,

She is cut and in a very deep freeze. Everything seemed ok. I have had some meat and no visits to the emergency room.

Thanks for all the help. Great advice.

Now I just need a duck huntin buddy
smile.gif

Try 1pointer...
Or if you don't mind going to Id. There is a few guy's there that are duck and goose nuts...
smile.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back