Elk Chorizo Sausage

el unit

Nothing is better than fresh wild game meat. Processing one's own game meat is enjoyable and can be cost effective too. Plus, quality control is very comforting. We've all heard too many horror stories about game meat taken to a processor.
And who doesn't LOVE specialty meats? jerky, snack stix, salami, summer sausage, bratwurst, smoked meats, etc.
This is a chorizo sausage recipe from Maine Street Meats in Rockland, Maine. Original recipe is for 5 lbs pork only. But I added 5 more pounds of ground elk and doubled all the ingredients.
Elk was hard to find in Maine, and It didn't taste right with Lobstah!

Fresh Elk Chorizo Sausage
5 lbs ground elk meat
5 lbs ground pork (pork butt or shoulder roast)
4 T Salt
4 tsp Black Pepper
3 tsp Fresh Garlic
3 tsp Fennel Seed
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2 1/2 tsp Thyme
2 1/2 tsp Cumin
2 1/2 tsp Coriander
4 T Paprika
1/4 tsp Cayenne
Sherry Vinegar to taste

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Package as bulk sausage or stuff into casings. Cook like any other sausage. I prefer to sauté in beer before grilling or pan-frying. Be sure to refrigerate sausage for a few hours prior to consuming or freezing. This allows the flavors and spices to meld.
Natural Hog and Sheep casings from Syaracuse Casing Company, NY (315) 475-0309
Maine Street Meats, ME. (207) 236-6328
Wesco 1hp grinder with stuffing attachment
Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 819
Cool recipe. I might try this with some ground from my next whitetail. I have 1/2 a hog coming in a few weeks from the butcher so the sausage shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

I was incorrect about the grinder. It is a WESTON Brand Grinder, NOT a Wesco. it is Awesome and I can't prep meat fast enough to keep up with it!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back