Mincemeat pie

Buckskinbob

My grandma makes these pies for me out of that year's deer every Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are the best pies in existence. I don't have a photo but here is the recipe for the filling. Then you just make it into a pie like you would an apple pie.

Pie filling ingredients:
3 lbs deer burger or roast
1/2 lb suet
2 1/2 quarts apples, peeled and Chopped
2 lbs seedless raisins
2 lbs dried currants
1/4 lb citron, diced
2 tbsp candied orange peel
2 cups sugar
2 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp cloves
2 cups cider
2 cups pineapple juice
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups white corn syrup
3/4 cups cider vinager
1/4 cup butter

If you are using round you have to slow cook it and shred it fine. If you are using burger then you brown it in a pan.

Grind the suet fine

Mix everything into a 2 gallon kettle and heat it until it is boiling.
Mix it up real good then let it cool and put it into the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks, stirring every few days
This makes 8 pies so you can freeze a bunch of it and save for later.

My wife is the only one who got my mom's recipe. Now the others ask for a jar cause they can't make it. We can it in quart jars after boiling. Take out a jar and make pies when you want. Wine instead of juice, but dang good.

1996 was the first time I had mincemeat pie. Not a real big fruit guy, it was delicious. I was very surprised when I learned that it had been canned in the 80's. It was a family recipe and only ingredient I was given was that it had plums in it.

1996 was the first time I had mincemeat pie. Not a real big fruit guy, it was delicious. I was very surprised when I learned that it had been canned in the 80's. It was a family recipe and only ingredient I was given was that it had plums in it.
My grandma has some salmon in her basement that was canned in the 80s or 90s, she swears it would still be good. I'm not that hungry

Mix everything into a 2 gallon kettle and heat it until it is boiling.
Mix it up real good then let it cool and put it into the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks, stirring every few days
This makes 8 pies so you can freeze a bunch of it and save for later.

3-4 weeks in the refrigerator seems so long. What happens if the pie is made before this “resting” time Has been reached?

Eat it and enjoy. My brother used to open a jar and eat it off the shelf in the store room. We'd find a half eaten jar every once in a while. No need to wait for a crust to be slapped on. Once my grandson {at 2} were testing the mix on the stove. I started to feel a little different and noticed he was getting real happy. When you use wine instead of juice,....you need to let it boil a while before a couple of 2 year old's dig in. Great memory's.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back